Tasty recipe ideas for cauliflower rice? All ideas are welcomed :)

Options
Hello all,
So today I discovered how high rice was in calories after discovering that I was recording it wrong which is most likely why I haven't seen the changes I want so far on my journey. Besides quinoa I also discovered cauliflower rice which seems really simple to make but I'm not sure if I can adjust to eating that alone with a side like I would with rice. I don't mind eating cauliflower in general but it's not my ideal favourite thing to eat which is why I'm looking for all types of recipeis that I could try to get used to loss of rice and get back to losing weight. So far all I've came up with is markerel stew, kidney beans stew, ground beef stew ( basically a lot of stews) and these are what I would put on my rice as a meal

Replies

• Jo_De24
    Jo_De24 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm interested in cauliflower rice recipes as well. Pinterest should be a good place to get some delicious ideas :-)
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Well for me, I am diabetic and can not eat rice at all (raises my sugar up too much). I am not fond of cooked cauliflower but I do use it like rice. I am not sure if it fools the brain into thinking you are eating rice or if it is the sauces/juices that coats all the tiny rice size pieces that mask the cauliflower flavor. I will make it into spanish rice type dishes. Where it is all mixed together. If I hadn't prepared it myself, I would think I was eating rice.

You can use it in any dish you would normally use rice. (Now to have a bowl of it plain as rice, that may not work, and you may taste the cauliflower taste.. not sure, never tried that) One of these days, I want to make it with just some butter, and pepper/seasonings and see how it taste.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I freaking love cauliflower rice!! Like the previous poster said, just use it like you would cooked rice. I've made fried rice, California rolls,Mexican rice, coconut rice, and cilantro lime rice with it.
  • Cindeeee
    Cindeeee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I was just drooling over this Buzzfeed article the other day. I have not tried any of them, yet, but I will as soon as I go to the grocery store. Cauliflower Tortillas? Yes, please!

I've also had several friends post pictures of homemade gluten-free pizza similar to the one in this article. They all say it's delicious.

www.buzzfeed.com/christinebyrne/cauliflower-not-carbs
  • Cindeeee
    Cindeeee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Also, I replaced rice in my diet with couscous. I have to say, I prefer it over rice any day.
  • rinteusp
    rinteusp Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I finally tried cauliflower rice for the first time last week - and I'm making more tonight. I could literally eat it at every meal - perfect flavor and texture. I saute'd mine with minced garlic, parsley, 1 tablespoon of butter, and salt and pepper. One night I sprinkled with a little Parmesan, another I mixed with steamed broccoli florets and some cheddar cheese. Probably the only "substitute" that I prefer over the original!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    The other night I mixed cauliflower rice and couscous to stretch a 1/2 head of cauliflower. Prepare the couscous, adding the cauliflower "rice" part way through to steam it. While it's cooking, saute red or orange bell pepper, mushrooms, and garlic in butter or olive oil. Add whole seed panch phoron (Bengali five-spice blend) or a variety of spice seeds to the pepper/mushroom/garlic mixture and heat through. Mix everything together and serve hot.

Since I didn't have panch phoron or all its constituent parts (fenugreek seeds, nigella sativa, cumin seed, black mustard seed, and fennel seed), I winged it with black sesame, white sesame, celery seed, nigella sativa, and caraway. Next time, I think I'd leave out the caraway but try some other substitutes.

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Roasted with garlic, salt and a bit of olive oil.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I make cauliflower rice but then mix it with a bag of the Konjac rice.

It spreads out the recipe, lowers the calories/carbs per serving and it behaves more like real rice than the cauliflower or the konjac rice alone.
  • lambchoplewis1
    lambchoplewis1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower mashed potatoes is great. I boil soft the cauliflower, use Greek yogurt and skim milk to smooth it in mixer. Mmmmmmm good
  • KellyHarkins666
    KellyHarkins666 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    add the shredded cauliflower to some crushed cashews and chopped broccoli that have been sautéed with some black pepper, salt, cayenne, and ground mustard. i like to add some tree nut cheese too.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Cindeeee wrote: »
    I was just drooling over this Buzzfeed article the other day. I have not tried any of them, yet, but I will as soon as I go to the grocery store. Cauliflower Tortillas? Yes, please!

I've also had several friends post pictures of homemade gluten-free pizza similar to the one in this article. They all say it's delicious.

I actually really like cauliflower grilled/fried (not a fan boiled or even raw that much) and some of those look great, but I am cringing at the title. Cauliflower is basically a carb.

That being said, I think I am going to try some of them out.
  • akgeenaminto
    akgeenaminto Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    We are farmers and freeze our cauliflower so have bags and bags of the stuff. There are a plethora of recipes detailing how to make tortilla s, muffins and breads and all tastes great.
  • akgeenaminto
    Options
    What was said above..better to stay green as cauliflower is a carb. Log it
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    What was said above..better to stay green as cauliflower is a carb. Log it

Sorry - not sure what you are saying here.
  • akgeenaminto
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

I actually really like cauliflower grilled/fried (not a fan boiled or even raw that much) and some of those look great, but I am cringing at the title. Cauliflower is basically a carb.

My bad, sorry. If you enter cauliflower in mfp you will see the amount of carbs that cauliflower will feed you. I was referring to the above comment. It's fun to eat just high in carbs.
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

My bad, sorry. If you enter cauliflower in mfp you will see the amount of carbs that cauliflower will feed you. I was referring to the above comment. It's fun to eat just high in carbs.

I have no issue with carbs (even white ones!), and know how to find out how many are in food, but thanks :) . I was referring to the incorrectness of the title of the link.

ETA: re-reading the 'but thanks' part of my post...may read snarky, not meant to be.