Time length at the gym/daily exercise?

Options
How long should you spend at the gym daily to get toned? Like how many different
routines do you do?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Whatever works for you

I go 3 times a week, rarely 4

I tend to do 45 mins on my own twice a week (20 mins cardio, 25 mins weights/calisthenics and stretching)

and once a week I do 80 minutes ... 20 mins cardio plus 60 mins with a devil PT - weights/calisthenics and swearing at him

Other days I aim to walk 4-5 miles across the day
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    How long should you spend at the gym daily to get toned? Like how many different
    routines do you do?

get toned = lose body fat through a calorie defecit and lift progressively heavy things and put them down again
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I now spend around 1hr 50 at the gym 5 mornings per week doing a combination of cardio and weights. (40 mins cardio split into 2) plus touch rugby tuesday and thursday evenings, 5 mile cross country run saturday morning and a quick 4 mile run Monday evening if I a) have energy or b) have had a *kitten* day at work and need to burn off some stress!! I'm now seeing changes in my body (but not the scales and this is solely down to my poor eating habits in the evenings). Prior to the above I worked out an hour each weekday morning and never really saw any changes.
  • mikevandewetering
    mikevandewetering Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I often lift for about 40-60min four times a week
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I try to go to the gym at least twice a week, and ideally I'd walk at least 30 minutes every day (this doesn't always happen). Just started swimming once a week and hopefully by the end of the month I will be able to start running twice a week again too.
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I do weights 3x/wk for anywhere from 30-45 minutes, and cardio by either running (I prefer outside, for sure) or elliptical 3-4x/wk for 30-60 minutes depending on time.
  • kate_19o
    kate_19o Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Aim to do a weights/bodyweight circuit for 40 mins 3x a week. Would love to say I ran for 40 mins 3x a week too, but usually only make it out twice!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I do 2-3 hours 3-4 days a week. I am addicted to the gym.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Running 60 minutes 5 times a week. Pilates/yoga/ calisthenics 5 x a week for minimum 20 minutes. . It doesn't always happen that way.
  • mzjenn2u
    mzjenn2u Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different....workout as long as your body and or schedule allows.
    Me personally made it a habit to get in the gym at least 5 times per week....I am there about 2 hours but I have a workout partner so I am working out about 60-75mins including a cardio warm up and cool down with strength training the bulk of my workout.
    Now that the weather is breaking I am hoping to run a few mornings a week as well.
    There is no right or wrong answer.....it's whatever works for YOU
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    I do 2-3 hours 3-4 days a week. I am addicted to the gym.

Sickness I tell you!
    40 min 4 times a week, then bike for 2-3 hours twice a week, plus power walking 2-3 hours a week.
  • KingoftheLilies
    KingoftheLilies Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Your time at the gym is vastly dwarfed by the time spent out of it, so what you do for the majority of the day will directly influence the results from your gym time. When you hit the gym, make it efficient & targeted towards what you want to achieve (lose weight? buff up? train for a marathon?). Personally I'd hate to spend more than an hour there, whatever I'm doing, that's where efficiency comes in, where muscle memory & routine plays its part.

The rest of the day watch your food intake, eat appropriate protein:fat:carbs for your goal (& long-term health), and move more. Take longer walks with the dog (you'll both be happier for it), play with the kids, go swimming, join a martial arts class, etc. etc. etc. as long as it doesn't hamper your intensity on gym days it's all fair game, just move.

Then, just watch the mirror and see your body change :smile:
  • andreamaym
    andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I do 25-35 minute workouts 5-6x/week at home.
  • EMCOX5412
    EMCOX5412 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    How many calories are burned doing weight training/toning exercises? I do 30 minutes of cardio and about 20 minutes of weight training/toning 4 to 6 times a week, but I have no idea how many calories the weight training/toning burns. I was just doing 60 minutes of cardio 5 to 6 days a week...thanks everyone!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Typically 3-4x a week for 20-60 minutes.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I work out at home. My workouts are both lifting and cardio depending on the day and it averages from 30 - 60 mins 5 times weekly