Trying to lose but gaining instead?!

Options
I am trying to lose weight and I have started working out daily with a challenge to walk 100 miles in 30 days. I did a weigh in this morning and I have gained instead of losing. Any ideas or suggestions on how to I can not gain. Im under my calories daily so it isn't the amount I'm eating. . Help me please.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you are logging correctly, it is probably just your muscles retaining water due to your new workout. This is very common and will subside as your body gets used to the new routine.
  • lambchoplewis1
    lambchoplewis1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. This keeps me from shoving things in my mout, even if it is a sample of something. I know I have to face the scale in the morning. This is controversial as u have to be able to handle a 2-3 lb increase even if u r following your plan. However, look at the trend over a few weeks, u will see it is going down. I weigh myself, log food and exercise and read these motivational posts
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you are logging accurately? Are you measuring your food using a scale? If you have just started working out, you may see a weight increase due to water retention. Keep at it and you will lose
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Either you're logging incorrectly and eating more than you think or it's just water gain. Open up your diary to public viewing for a better answer from someone.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    ahier05735 wrote: »
    I am trying to lose weight and I have started working out daily with a challenge to walk 100 miles in 30 days. I did a weigh in this morning and I have gained instead of losing. Any ideas or suggestions on how to I can not gain. Im under my calories daily so it isn't the amount I'm eating. . Help me please.

Over what period of time have you gained? and how much?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    do you use a food scale, yes or no?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Yes it is. Make sure you are weighing ALL food you eat.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I agree with every one else. Weighing your food is the only way to know how much you are really eating. Stick to it you will see results.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I see you only have 22lbs to lose.

When you only have that amount to lose you have to be SUPER tight with logging. You have to weigh everything by grams and I mean everything.
  • Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options

I think the question here is
    How much did you gain? and was it just once or have you gained several times?

If it's just a small amount only once or twice, it could well be water weight.
    Most peoples weight varies during the week depending on, I know mine usually fluctuates by 5lb, so if it's only a small amount it's not worth worrying about, unless it's constantly increasing.
  • ahier05735
    ahier05735 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am weighing and measuring everything I eat. I am used to doing this as I have been using other weight loss things throughout the years and it is second nature now to weigh everything and log everything. The weight gain was 2 pounds since last week. Before this week I was working out but it was more sporadic and not a daily thing and never more than once a day so there has been a big increase in working out.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am weighing and measuring everything I eat. I am used to doing this as I have been using other weight loss things throughout the years and it is second nature now to weigh everything and log everything. The weight gain was 2 pounds since last week. Before this week I was working out but it was more sporadic and not a daily thing and never more than once a day so there has been a big increase in working out.

Just keep at it. Losing 22lbs can take some time. I am there with you. It is as slow as molasses.

• ahier05735
    Options
    Thanks everyone I appreciate the feedback
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Are you in a deficit? Are you using a food scale?
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

If you weigh and measure anything, and this is a sudden jump, chances are it is water weight or retaining solids or something similar. Give it some time and chances are, it will pass ;) You would have noticed if you ate an extra 7000 calories this week if you're logging that accurately.
  • ahier05735
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Are you in a deficit? Are you using a food scale?
    Yes I am in a deficit each day. 99% of the days I'm below the goal without exercising. I'm never over my calories and I even use a Fitbit to track my activity levels. I use a weight watchers food scale.
  • ahier05735
    Options
    Thanks again everyone. When I got to my actual weigh in day (Friday) I was actually down 1.6 so I guess I stressed over nothing.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yay, that is great!