Dealing with family meals

Options
Hello
I live with my parents and brother.

They're trying to help me , but still they can't stop making cakes or buying sweet stuff. Whenever there's an occasion, there's usually a cake or something baked in the house. And I feel very week at that time. They won't stop buying or making that stuff and I can't stop binging on them. I sometimes finish the whole thing. I can stop myself from buying stuff, but what can I do with what others buy or make in the house?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    We don't lose weight by changing the purchasing habits of others. We lose weight by controlling what we eat.

I would work on figuring out the root cause of your binging. Are you eating enough? Do you enjoy what you are eating? Are there emotional issues you need to address?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Move out.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Monna2 wrote: »
    Hello

They're trying to help me , but still they can't stop making cakes or buying sweet stuff. Whenever there's an occasion, there's usually a cake or something baked in the house. And I feel very week at that time. They won't stop buying or making that stuff and I can't stop binging on them. I sometimes finish the whole thing. I can stop myself from buying stuff, but what can I do with what others buy or make in the house?

Oy, I know the feeling!
    So, many will tell you to have a little bit of dessert, or splurge if it's rare, but if you're like me you can be a one-person sweets disposal unit! So my method (which admittedly has only been field tested a handful of times)
    1. Eat some dessert, especially if they are the food=love types
    2. Grab a bottle of diet coke (I know, I know) and sip. It's sweet and calorie free plus you have the added benefit of holding something so no one hands you cake
    3. And most important, start bringing your own desserts. Bring strawberries, sweet apples and honey, things that you are comfortable eating without worrying about bingeing. I bring fruit baskets to holidays now. Grapes, berries etc. they are a tidally quite popular!

Good luck, remember, you can only change yourself, but what a change that can be!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Move out.

This.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Do you have a food scale? Do you weigh your food and log it into your diary?

The obvious choice is to fit the "sweets" into your calorie count. Tough to do with homemade treats to begin with. However, if you want to lose weight you have to start logging your calories.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    It's tough at my mum's house too. (I'm 32 and have my own home and family but we go there a couple of times a week). Could you get your own "treats" to substitute when they have cake or biscuits? Like a Jaffa cake? Or a mini gingerbread man?
  • lambchoplewis1
    lambchoplewis1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If I have a little, I want it all. I know it is hard but I just say NO. Get up from table and do dishes or leave the room. Once u do this a few times, they will leave u alone. One thought, r they really trying to sabotage u beacuse they r jealous of your goal to lose?
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Hello

Yes you can stop, there's nothing forcing you to eat them - it's just a mental switch in your head rather than some impairment you have which forces you to eat. There's no secret to getting round this, it's just willpower. If you're eating these things, it's because deep down, you want to.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hello

Yes you can stop, there's nothing forcing you to eat them - it's just a mental switch in your head rather than some impairment you have which forces you to eat. There's no secret to getting round this, it's just willpower. If you're eating these things, it's because deep down, you want to.

Scottacular for the win
  • thin1dayplease
    thin1dayplease Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I no you are looking for advice, but you have to take some responsiblity for yourself. Like some other posters have said no one is forcing you to eat these. I know old habits are hard to kick, but it depends on how much you actually want to change your lifestyle and weight. Try subsituting sweet treats for a better choice or leave enough calories in your 'budget' to allow yourself some sweet treats. It all about breaking the habit. You can do it if you really set your mind to it!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Hello

1. Leave enough calories in your day to accomadate a serving of cake or something sweet every day. Eat it slowly and really enjoy it. Drink a glass of water while you eat. Always put your serving on a small plate or bowl and take it to the table.
    2. Exercise more so you can eat more.
    3. Can you get the items divided into portions for each person? Put your share in a container with your name. You eat that and don't touch anyone else's.
    4. Don't eat any of it. You can exercise control because you manage to stop yourself from buying these foods all the time. Stop telling yourself that you are weak and can't stop binging. Remind yourself of how strong you can be.
    5. Move out.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Have a small amount of what you are craving, log it, and then continue on with something else. If your brain keeps nagging, tell yourself out loud "I just had it, I can have some more tomorrow."

Keep yourself occupied with something that engages your mind. When I'm drawing, I'm so caught up in perfecting my sketch that I sometimes forget to eat dinner... :blush:
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    This is tough. Even though I'm in charge of most food purchases in my house, food shows up in my house that I didn't bring into it! My husband is always bringing home gifts from students, etc. or my parents give my kids sweets that they can't finish etc.) I have dealt with it by asking my family how much of it they really to eat. If no one really wants it, I toss it without any guilt because, like you said, in a weak moment it might look good to me and the gift giver did not intend for their gift to hurt anyone so why should I let it hurt me?

Personally, I think there's no point in taxing your willpower 10 or 20 times a day. That is hard work and will make you feel like you failed even if 19 out of 20 times you didn't succumb to the temptation. What I have found that works is that as long as it's out of my sight I can usually do okay. (I realize this is why Easter candy got me this past week. The kids left their baskets front and center and I kept walking by them!) It seems reasonable to me that you ask your parents and brother if they don't mind if you can at least the sweets somewhere you won't be as tempted. I find that putting it in a cupboard or up high somewhere makes me less likely to want to eat it. The other day my kids made cupcakes and all it took was some tin foil to cover them up to keep me from taking one every time I passed by them in the kitchen.

Another strategy I use is to tell myself is that I deserve to eat my favorite dessert or sweet and not just some random, half stale thing that just happened to walk into my house. This is where MFP is a lifesaver. If I know I'm going to write it down, it had better be worth it!

Good luck!

• rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    What do you want more... To finish the cake that's supposed to be for the whole family, or to lose weight? If it's the latter, repeat "I want to lose weight more than I want to eat all the cake" or something similar about a million times every day until it sticks.

I had to do the same with alcohol. It's really hard, but really worth it. I still fit a glass of wine into my calories, and you can still have some cake.

Also, try to be more aware of how your food is tasting. The first few bites taste really good. After that, you just don't appreciate it as much. When it stops tasting as delicious as the first bite, back away. Tell yourself you'll have more when you know you'll appreciate it.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Phentermine/Topirmate. You won't care what other people are eating.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Why should they stop? YOU are the one that wants to lose weight. At 28 you are going to have to take some responsibility for what you put in your mouth no matter what food is around you. Many people live with others, whether is spouses, boyfriends, girlfriends, parents, kids, etc. Many people also have jobs and coworkers that bring in donuts, cakes, snacks, etc. You cant dictate that they can't eat what you don't want to eat either. It's life.

When you start making choices that get results, that will probably motivate you more to continue to stick to your calorie goals. At least that's what happens for me. I see you have a decent amount of weight you want to lose. You aren't going to be able to get to your goal by just telling your family not to make treats. Its going to be based on YOUR choices.
  • kittykarin
    kittykarin Posts: 104 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Totally agree with previous poster about having to make your own choices. I live with my two stepsons and husband that have never had a weight problem and eat junk food and crap way more than anything else. I control the groceries but I can't just buy them veggies and health food or they would revolt. I make sure to plan my meals and snacks and I always have healthy stuff on hand. It definitely takes willpower not to eat a handful of their cheetos or a Reese's cup especially when I am stressed or starving but it's worth it. The more you say no to the bad and opt for the good, it becomes much easier. It starts to be a habit and soon seeing all those treats won't be quite as hard to resist. Good luck!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I'd be livid if my kid was living at home still and whining that I am buying cheesecake and wine.

Time to move out. :rage:
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    As others have said, what they do is not part your plan. I try hard not to limit anything from my family. Just make sure you have an alternative desert for when they're having cake. I'll admit that sometimes it's awkward to bring fruit to the table when there's a large crowd eating cake. In cases like that, I'll go to the kitchen and sneak in some fruit before heading back to the table.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    I'd be livid if my kid was living at home still and whining that I am buying cheesecake and wine.

Time to move out. :rage:

I'd be more livid if my kid lived with me and ate all my cake.