Tightening up the tummy?

Options
What are some good ways to tighten up the tummy pooch?

A few weeks ago I reached my weight goal of 135 lbs. I am 5'5". I am extremely happy with my success and am very satisfied with the way my body looks EXCEPT the "baby pooch". I have an appendix scar on the right side of my tummy, not unlike a c-section scar. Since having two children the area right above that scar JUST WON'T TIGHTEN UP. There is a little pooch there and it is driving me nuts! The left side of my tummy is fine.

I'm afraid to lose more weight, because I don't want to look skeletal. But, I want to tighten this area.

Currently I do 40-60 minutes of Zumba 4 days per week and have recently started bike riding.

I'd REALLY like to wear a bikini this summer!!! Any ideas???

Replies

• JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    bump for later, me too!
  • learnbygoing
    learnbygoing Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Weight training! Add some in if you can. It does SO MUCH GOOD for your body. One of the best things? Almost all weight training, done properly, strengthens your core. AND muscles help burn fat over the long term, and will help you sustain your weight loss :D
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    It either has fat under it or it's loose skin.

If the skin has stretch marks around it you most likely will have that for life as the skin has been broken and wont tighten back up.

If it's fat then you need to lose more weight. Doing core exercises will build up the muscle under the fat but will do nothing to help lose the actual fat that is bothering you.

The good thing with lose skin is that if you build up enough muscle to take up the space where fat once was then you wont have the lose skin anymore but the only problem with that is fat is larger in volume then muscle so sometimes to take up that room it wont look right physically.
  • ladyjbg
    ladyjbg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've got that same little pouch above my appendix scar - maddening - :frown:
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Weight training! Add some in if you can. It does SO MUCH GOOD for your body. One of the best things? Almost all weight training, done properly, strengthens your core. AND muscles help burn fat over the long term, and will help you sustain your weight loss :D

^ This!
    Focus on eating a diet of clean, whole foods. With a clean diet & strength training, you will tighten that area.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    What kind of weight training?
    I (well, my Husband) actually has a home gym weight thing in the basement. Sorry, don't know what it's called. It has cords attached to the weights and you can adjust the peg for the weight. You can do arms or legs with it. I've never touched it simply because I have no idea what to do with it! Could using this thing help? Where do I start? How heavy, how many reps, etc?
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Mt. climbers, burpees, standing core exercises, mat core exercises, planks, push ups, kick boxing so many things work the core. But yeah, you have to get strength in and lower the over all body fat %. I had two c-sections so I know exactly what your talking about :laugh:
  • erinhale
    erinhale Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    To really benefit from this workout, do it 2-3 times a week on non-consecutive days. I have all my cleints do this as "homework" because it such a great workut in 6-8 minutes!

Do as a contunious set:

30 Sec Plank, Rest 30 Seconds, 30 Sec Plank

30 Sec Slow Mountain Climbers , Rest 30 Seconds, 30 Sec Slow Mountain Climbers

30 Sec Side Plank, Rest 30 Seconds, 30 Sec Side Plank (build up to repeating side plank so both sides get done twice)

Plank: Start by lying face down on the ground or use an exercise mat. Place your elbows and forearms underneath your chest. Prop yourself up to form a bridge using your toes and forearms. Maintain a flat back and do not allow your hips to sag towards the ground.Remember to not let your hips and back sag. This exercise will only be effective if you work to maintain a flat line from your shoulders to your feet. You might want to start in front of a mirror to learn the technique.

Mountain Climbers: Lie prone on the floor with you hands slightly wider than shoulder-width apart. Come up to a push-up position by extending your arms and keeping your body straight.
    Bring your knees up one at a time, as if running up a mountain but GO SLOW (holding the knee to chest for a 2 second count). Try to keep your knee in as close to your chest as possible. Keep your head up, eyes forward and your mind focused.

Side Plank:Lie on your side with your right hand on the ground or use an exercise mat. For beginners, it is recommended to begin this exercise on your elbow. Lift yourself up to form a plank with your right arm straight and your left arm on your side.Remember to keep your body in a straight line, tightening your abs and butt muscles. You might want to start in front of a mirror to learn the technique
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stenochick
    stenochick Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bump for later!
  • learnbygoing
    learnbygoing Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    What kind of weight training?
    I (well, my Husband) actually has a home gym weight thing in the basement. Sorry, don't know what it's called. It has cords attached to the weights and you can adjust the peg for the weight. You can do arms or legs with it. I've never touched it simply because I have no idea what to do with it! Could using this thing help? Where do I start? How heavy, how many reps, etc?

I personally use the Chalean Extreme workout right now, and love it, but she uses dumbbells, not machines. I think when I'm done that I'm going to start using a workout from over at bodybuilding.com. It's an amazing site...they come up with a whole routine for you, and it's free!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Some people rarely do exercises that target the abs and still have great tight abs! If you keep your tummy tight while doing squats, lunges, deadlifts, etc., you work the abs as well.
  • ShawnaMama
    ShawnaMama Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    To really benefit from this workout, do it 2-3 times a week on non-consecutive days. I have all my cleints do this as "homework" because it such a great workut in 6-8 minutes!

Do as a contunious set:

30 Sec Side Plank, Rest 30 Seconds, 30 Sec Side Plank (build up to repeating side plank so both sides get done twice)

Plank: Start by lying face down on the ground or use an exercise mat. Place your elbows and forearms underneath your chest. Prop yourself up to form a bridge using your toes and forearms. Maintain a flat back and do not allow your hips to sag towards the ground.Remember to not let your hips and back sag. This exercise will only be effective if you work to maintain a flat line from your shoulders to your feet. You might want to start in front of a mirror to learn the technique.

Mountain Climbers: Lie prone on the floor with you hands slightly wider than shoulder-width apart. Come up to a push-up position by extending your arms and keeping your body straight.
    Bring your knees up one at a time, as if running up a mountain but GO SLOW (holding the knee to chest for a 2 second count). Try to keep your knee in as close to your chest as possible. Keep your head up, eyes forward and your mind focused.

Side Plank:Lie on your side with your right hand on the ground or use an exercise mat. For beginners, it is recommended to begin this exercise on your elbow. Lift yourself up to form a plank with your right arm straight and your left arm on your side.Remember to keep your body in a straight line, tightening your abs and butt muscles. You might want to start in front of a mirror to learn the technique

Wonderful! Very helpful, thank you!
  • chelledepriest
    Options
    Bump!
  • zianiH
    zianiH Posts: 68
    Options

Do as a contunious set:

thank you Erin... for taking the time to put this into a very clear instruction. I am just like the OP, trying very hard to loss the baby pouch. I am definitely gonna try this out
  • amengel
    amengel Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    bump
  • k1r5ty23
    k1r5ty23 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem but then discovered Body Pump class. Just an hour a week has certainly made a difference. My abs feel instantly tighter after one workout. Cant praise weight training enough....just grit your teeth when your doing it.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    It either has fat under it or it's loose skin.

If the skin has stretch marks around it you most likely will have that for life as the skin has been broken and wont tighten back up.

If it's fat then you need to lose more weight. Doing core exercises will build up the muscle under the fat but will do nothing to help lose the actual fat that is bothering you.

The good thing with lose skin is that if you build up enough muscle to take up the space where fat once was then you wont have the lose skin anymore but the only problem with that is fat is larger in volume then muscle so sometimes to take up that room it wont look right physically.

I'd go with this strategy. Work your core, keep trying to lose fat.
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options

Do as a contunious set:

Thank you!!!! I have had 4 children- and the last was a c-section- not matter how much I am toning every other part, my belly still looks like it's had 4 children... I'm going to try this!