Swimmer gals and body hair

Options
Just as a warning, this thread will talk about body hair and removal. For all you sensitive types out there who can't stand the thought of hairy legs ;)

I want to start swimming regularly, 2-3 times a week, and I was wondering how all you ladies who do that deal with leg hair.
I mostly wax my legs but that always leaves me with 1-2 weeks where I have to let it grow out and deal with the stubble before waxing again, and I kinda don't want to get into a bathing suit during that time.
Do you all just shave or are there other tricks?

On a related note, do you think your upper legs/thighs should be shaved too, or would you find it yucky if you saw a fellow swimmer with hairy thighs?

Replies

• IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    Personally I shave every 2 days or so and do the whole leg, but I'm dark haired so that may make a difference. I also shave my bikini line to avoid straggly hairs being unsightly (to me) in that area. :) I can't shave my armpits any more frequent that every other day else they get too sore. :)

Feel free to add me if you want a swimming buddy :)
  • stingap
    stingap Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I usually just let it go - it's not like it really matters, as i'm not an athlete, i swim for myself. A little bit of hair doesn't hurt anybody, and i just can't bother - swimming is more important than being self conscious to me.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I usually just let it go - it's not like it really matters, as i'm not an athlete, i swim for myself. A little bit of hair doesn't hurt anybody, and i just can't bother - swimming is more important than being self conscious to me.

this!
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I shave once a week. My bathing suit has legs that come mid thigh so my bikini line is not an issue.
  • Magic_Chicken
    Magic_Chicken Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I shave every 2 days generally but if i haven't and i planned to go swimming i would never shave the same day as my legs would itch soo much from the chlorine etc.

Tbh the people who would judge your body hair are probably too busy being insecure with their own bodies in a suit to even notice you and it they do, bah that their issue not yours :)

Once your in the water no one can see if you have shaved or not anyway :wink:
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I'm dark haired and I shave my legs (about once a fortnight in the winter if I'm honest, twice a week in the summer). That being said, I went swimming on Sunday with legs that had definitely not been shaved for 10 days+. Once you're in the water they've covered. I doubt anyone else cared, and I don't care if they care.
    Although I did feel a bit bad for the woman who passed me in the opposite direction and accidentally bumped my shin with her hand - probably thought she'd somehow stroked a sea otter.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    IN before the hair shaming starts...
  • rawstrongchick
    rawstrongchick Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I really struggle with shaving anywhere as my skin gets seriously irritated and makes swimming impossible. I got one of those light laser machines. It's taken off the hair where I've treated (legs, arm pits and bikini line) so I don't have to worry about shaving at all now. It was an expensive outlay (about £300 I think) but it's been worth it as I've saved almost that much already in special foams, constantly brand new blades, calming creams etc.
  • pixie_face
    pixie_face Posts: 5
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I just shave, a couple of times a week. Bit of stubble on my legs is a-okay, rather that than no swim or sore skin from overshaving (sensitive legs!) Couldn't care much for others choices (no judgement!), whatever you want to do with your body is your business :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I shave every night in the bath

it's just a habit
  • starseedxo
    starseedxo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Competitive swimmer girls don't shave their legs for the whole season, and then shave before the big meet of the year. Just pretend to be one of them.