Need tips on healthy eating!

Options
I have a huge problem with portion control and choosing what to eat. Please give me some feedback

Replies

• dramos1961
    dramos1961 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Try Ensure powder shakes w/ ice & fruit. Filling and holds you for a few hours. GTLU
  • kittykarin
    kittykarin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Trial and error and hardcore planning are what I've had to do. Pinterest has been a big help for me in being able to find things for me to cook that my family will eat that I can also tweak to fit my way of eating. I plan our meals for the week and grocery shop on the weekend so I'm not tempted to grab fast food breakfasts or lunches during the week.
    I love premade chicken burgers and steamed veggie packs for a quick lunch. I make ahead little egg muffins that can be heated up quick for breakfasts. I also keep ready to drink shakes, string cheese, individual packages of pistachios, etc. around for snacks. Good luck!
  • JuliaHaleFitness
    JuliaHaleFitness Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Make a BAS!! A Big *kitten* Salad! If you fill your plate with greens + veggies (raw or grilled) and throw some beans, seeds, and lean protein (shrimp, chicken, turkey burger, lean steak...) on top you will fill yourself up without a ton of calories! You eat with your eyes first! Also, make a bunch of healthy options on the weekend and portion them out right away. Quinoa, chicken, turkey, etc...it all works and then you know you will only be grabbing one portion and you don't have to guess when you are starving and just want to eat!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I try and keep it simple...a sliced apple, some celery (with or without peanut butter), a few ounces of cooked chicken breast.

Keep it plain and simple works for me!
  • annamontalvo920
    annamontalvo920 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had this problem too! Do some meal prep this way you only eat what have for that meal. Once you have control of it you don't have to do it anymore. Drink a cup of water before each meal so your fuller faster and it helps with the over eating. Also cook only what you should be eating (measure!!!) feel free to add me! I'll definitely help you out!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    I have issues with portion control too. Years ago my personal trainer told me that the palm of our hand is a portion...I eat ten of them lol. As for eating healthy...my daughter tells me to make my plate colorful...the more colors the better. (food is her field)
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Weigh weigh weigh, and I don't mean your bodyweight. Measure and weigh everything you eat. It's the best way to re-calibrate portions.
  • FairhavenDS
    FairhavenDS Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest tricks I've used in the past is lots of leafy greens with meals like lunch or dinner. They have a lot of micronutrients for very few calories per ounce. If you combine them with a small portion of protein (chicken/turkey) and fat (especially good fat burning fats like olive oil, but cheese works too) it'll help keep you from feeling hungry again soon after. Another trick for me is using vinegar based sauces (tend to have low/no calories naturally) like hot sauce or olive oil/vinegar combo to add flavor instead of richer creamier sauces with meals.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have a huge problem with portion control and choosing what to eat. Please give me some feedback
    Eat off 9 inch plates and stick more to whole foods when you can. Weight loss is about CICO and eating lifestyle you can sustain.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    dramos1961 wrote: »
    Try Ensure powder shakes w/ ice & fruit. Filling and holds you for a few hours. GTLU
    No.

Eat what you like, but be dilligent about weighing/measuring everything. If you can't make it fit, save it for another day.

You need to be accountable and realize this is for YOU, so YOU need to just do it! As "simple" as that sounds.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    dramos1961 wrote: »
    How does this teach someone about portions or what foods to actually eat?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png