Is 125 fat for some who is 5'2?

Options
I'm 5'2, and am going to be delivering a baby in just under 3 weeks, so I have quite a fair amount to lose. I am wondering if 125 lbs is a good weight for that height, or if I should aim lower.

Thanks!

Replies

• sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'2'' and I have weighed from 115 to 155. I am currently like 130ish and my goal is 125.

it depends on what kind of body frame you have. I have a medium build.
  • XxXstars9967XxX
    Options
    I'm 5'2, and am going to be delivering a baby in just under 3 weeks, so I have quite a fair amount to lose. I am wondering if 125 lbs is a good weight for that height, or if I should aim lower.

Thanks!
    im only 5 feet and 120 is ideal weight for my height so u should be ok at 125
  • doublexhelix
    doublexhelix Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    125 is healthy for a 5'2" woman! it puts you at a BMI of 22.9, right in the healthy range. of course being healthy depends on more than just BMI, it depends on what you eat and your activity level (which in my opinion are more important than a number on the scale), but that is a good goal, and see what your body likes as you move toward it!
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Well depends on your bone structure and other things. I am 5'2" and I don't think I ever was down that low.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/bmi_tbl.pdf

125 is in the normal range for your height and weight.
  • ciege77
    ciege77 Posts: 60
    Options
    Here's another link from the CDC for your body weight.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/english_bmi_calculator/results_normal.html?pounds=125&inches=62

I think you're just fine.
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and 147lbs (that's me in my profile pic). It really depends on your skeletal structure and muscle mass. For me, I can already see my hip bones and bottom ribs sticking out. 125lbs would be way too skinny for my frame.
  • Charger440
    Charger440 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    That would be assuming you put any faith in BMI since it is known to be very inaccurate.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0" and my ideal weight is about 120, so 125 should be fine for 5'2" (I also have a lot of muscle when I'm at 120. Watch body fat percent as well as overall weight, that's a good indicator too).
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    See, I was wondering the accuracy of the BMI, since I have heard it's not always right. Eeek. I know people who think 125 is fine, and others who think it's too chunky, so I'm just a little confused. Maybe I'll make it my goal for now and then reevaluate once I'm there...
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    All depends on your frame. I am 5'1 and would be very underweight at that weight. I have a large frame. I've set my goal on the high side of the range for my weight because of my frame and my age. I also think it's important to consider the tone of your body as well. Muscle takes up less space pound for pound than fat. I would much rather be on the heavier side of the weight range with lots of lean muscle than skinnier without as much muscle.
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    See, I was wondering the accuracy of the BMI, since I have heard it's not always right. Eeek. I know people who think 125 is fine, and others who think it's too chunky, so I'm just a little confused. Maybe I'll make it my goal for now and then reevaluate once I'm there...

Sounds like a great plan. I'm going to reevaluate as I get closer to my goal because I am more concerned with healthy weight than a number on the scale
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Don't put your faith in the number (or the BMI calculators!!)...do as you said, make it your temporary goal (like mine is 175-180 or so), and see how you look/feel then. Fat weighs a lot less than muscle, so 10lbs of fat is going to look a LOT worse than 10lbs of muscle.

For the record, as a guy...I'm 5'7"...anything less than 175 and I look sickly lol. Other guys at 5'7" and 155 look great. Just depends on you.

Cris
  • kiwipez
    kiwipez Posts: 144
    Options
    I am 5'2" and my goal is 130 - although I am a bit older than you, 125 should be good for you. I do agree with the other posters regarding your frame. Start with that as your goal and see how it works out when you get there.
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    What a coincidence! I'm 5'2 and I was 125 a week ago. For me, it is definitely too high. I have high cholesterol, borderline high blood pressure, and a high body fat percentage. I'm aiming for around 18-22% body fat.

But it also depends on your shape. Im apple shaped which means I'm at higher risk for heart disease. If you carry fat in your butt/thighs, you should be okay :)
  • maggie4097
    maggie4097 Posts: 156
    Options
    I'm 5'1", and would loooooove to be 125. I am aiming for 128, which is still upper normal for me. I have been as low as 115, but I don't see that as a reality for me while still being strong and healthy. I had zero muscle at that time. I work out several times a week now, so I will be happy with 128 (125 would be fantabulous).
  • sm0113
    sm0113 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    A good weight for my height, according to BMI charts, is way less than I can ever imagine being. I don't have a small bone structure and I am also pretty muscular. I think it all depends on the person.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, everyone. :) Guess I'll see how I feel/look when I get there. Has to look better than how I look now!