Here We Go! (Again.....)

Options
Hey there!

I'm Allie. I'm 5'2 and have always been larger than kids my height and age. When I was younger, my parents or friends would call me "big boned" or would just say that I had a lot of muscle.

Even when I say I'm fat, my family and friends will say "No, you're not!", which is nice, but I know it's not true. I've looked in the mirror...

Helloooooooo. I'm 21 and I just tipped the scale at 230 lbs!! (Which is pretty big for how short I am.) I don't have any health issues. My blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesteral and everything else are all perfect. BUT I'm tired of being the biggest girl in my group of friends. I'm tired of being tired all the time. I'm tired of feeling like the odd one out. I want to have fun, and I want to be fun!

My goal, for now, is to get to 150 lbs. I don't have a deadline, but I plan on working hard. I've started MFP a few times, and always lose motivation.

Anyone have any tips for motivation, perseverance, or patience? Or any tips at all?

Replies

• mmphilma
    mmphilma Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    We're eerily similar.... I'm only on day 3 of restarting for the... I don't even know what number this time is. I'm 5'2, 230lbs... and even when I was in HS, I was healthy and in shape, and still 180lbs. I got a Fitbit last weekend, and I'm obsessed with it (so far)...

Anyway, I was going to say that I would love more friends on here to keep me motivated... That seems to help me. I get pumped when people like that I work out & cheer me on. If you're interested, feel free to add me!

Melanie
  • amberlmiller1
    Options
    I am just like you; I have started MFP numerous times but lose motivation and stop. I think the best thing to do (but I have not done this yet either) is to get a friend to do it with you. Motivate each other. I'm going to try to find someone to work with because although I'm not super heavy, I changed jobs last December and have been slowly gaining weight. That scares me and I want to be healthy, I have a 5 yr old who needs a good role model.

Just stay focused, realize you are not alone and it's okay to slip as long as you catch yourself. ☺️
  • aliceandria
    aliceandria Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    mmphilma wrote: »
    We're eerily similar.... I'm only on day 3 of restarting for the... I don't even know what number this time is. I'm 5'2, 230lbs... and even when I was in HS, I was healthy and in shape, and still 180lbs. I got a Fitbit last weekend, and I'm obsessed with it (so far)...

Anyway, I was going to say that I would love more friends on here to keep me motivated... That seems to help me. I get pumped when people like that I work out & cheer me on. If you're interested, feel free to add me!

Melanie

Thanks! I'll add you! Wow, we are very similar. I was always super athletic, and still over weight in HS... I've been looking into the fitbit, but don't want to spend that kind of money until I know I'm gonna stick with this for sure..

• aliceandria
    Options
    I am just like you; I have started MFP numerous times but lose motivation and stop. I think the best thing to do (but I have not done this yet either) is to get a friend to do it with you. Motivate each other. I'm going to try to find someone to work with because although I'm not super heavy, I changed jobs last December and have been slowly gaining weight. That scares me and I want to be healthy, I have a 5 yr old who needs a good role model.

Just stay focused, realize you are not alone and it's okay to slip as long as you catch yourself. ☺️

I've wanted to start with a friend, but I don't have any that are motivated enough. And it always comes back too. "Allie, you don't need to lose that much weight!" Crazy, crazy people.. haha
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    some sort of resistance training will help you lose inches much faster than pounds and you'll be stronger for it as well. Check out and make friends with the people of this group.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/10118-eat-train-progress

Very helpful
  • metalmaiden17
    metalmaiden17 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Me too! My current goal is also 150, but I do have a deadline. I find that having people to talk to here going through the same things and working toward similar goals helps a ton! I need the accountability and encouragement from my friends.
  • aliceandria
    Options
    Me too! My current goal is also 150, but I do have a deadline. I find that having people to talk to here going through the same things and working toward similar goals helps a ton! I need the accountability and encouragement from my friends.

I hope so! This is the first time I've posted, or tried to be part of the "community". Maybe having people on here to hold me accountable will help.

• mmphilma
    mmphilma Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Melanie

Thanks! I'll add you! Wow, we are very similar. I was always super athletic, and still over weight in HS... I've been looking into the fitbit, but don't want to spend that kind of money until I know I'm gonna stick with this for sure..

I know!! I said the same thing! "No money until you commit..." Well, I wasn't committing... so I was hoping that spending the money would help! I'll keep you updated on my progress! :)
  • gia070509
    gia070509 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Please don't think I'm a weirdo-- but it sounds like you two ladies may want to research a bit as to what body type you are. If you're 180 and a lean, mean fighting machine in HS, you may not be an ectomorph (lean/thin by nature) or a mesomorph (athletic build) but more of an endomorph. Us endomorphs are always taller (and softer, lol) than everyone else around us, but we have two advantages: we can pickup muscle by just LOOKING at weights (which, the more muscle you build, the more calories you burn even at rest!) and we really thrive on a low-carb diet. Unfortunately carbs aren't our best friends because of how we process them (boo to that, because my favorite food group are all things CORN lol) but I find that if I really stick to lean meats, veggies, healthy fats (LOVE avocado, nuts and a good olive oil!) and more on weights and less on cardio (I'm talking 15-20 minutes of cardio interval training TOPS), I start to see transformations within 2-3 weeks. Like, drastic ones. My stomach looks flatter, my arms are more defined, etc. I may fall off, but once I pick it back up, it takes only about a week or so to start seeing the benefits again. Do a little research and find out what your body type is and use that as a base to find out what works for you!
  • aliceandria
    Options

Melanie

I know!! I said the same thing! "No money until you commit..." Well, I wasn't committing... so I was hoping that spending the money would help! I'll keep you updated on my progress! :)

Maybe that's what I should do! If I spend all the $$, I'll have to stick with it! Actually, I'm no so sure that would work for me. haha Good luck! =) Hopefully, I'll be looking into the fitbit sooner rather than later!
  • aliceandria
    Options
    gia070509 wrote: »
    Please don't think I'm a weirdo-- but it sounds like you two ladies may want to research a bit as to what body type you are. If you're 180 and a lean, mean fighting machine in HS, you may not be an ectomorph (lean/thin by nature) or a mesomorph (athletic build) but more of an endomorph. Us endomorphs are always taller (and softer, lol) than everyone else around us, but we have two advantages: we can pickup muscle by just LOOKING at weights (which, the more muscle you build, the more calories you burn even at rest!) and we really thrive on a low-carb diet. Unfortunately carbs aren't our best friends because of how we process them (boo to that, because my favorite food group are all things CORN lol) but I find that if I really stick to lean meats, veggies, healthy fats (LOVE avocado, nuts and a good olive oil!) and more on weights and less on cardio (I'm talking 15-20 minutes of cardio interval training TOPS), I start to see transformations within 2-3 weeks. Like, drastic ones. My stomach looks flatter, my arms are more defined, etc. I may fall off, but once I pick it back up, it takes only about a week or so to start seeing the benefits again. Do a little research and find out what your body type is and use that as a base to find out what works for you!

That is very interesting! I'm gonna have to research it now! Sounds about right though. Even though I'm quite large, I'm still really strong. Muscle seems easy, it's losing fat that's a problem! I love carbs though...... Especially around THAT time of the month.. haha (Except bread. I hate bread)
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am in a very similar situation. 5'2" and at my highest weight (recently) was 230lbs. I have been back on MFP for 45 days and am down to 210lbs. I started on MFP in Sept 2011 and lost 55lbs, and then struggled to lose more and gave up. I am back now and very determined. I have never had any health problems, but because I gained my weight back so quickly I have developed a "fatty liver" which can only be cured by getting in shape and following a healthy lifestyle. I feel that friends and the forums are great. There is so much information on this site and I have learned so much from the people on here. If you want, add me! I think support is vital!
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I got a Fitbit last weekend, and I'm obsessed with it (so far)...

Melanie

Melanie,

How do you use your fitbit? Do you connect it to your MFP and have it do the calorie adjustment? If you do, do you also add your exercise calories into MFP as well? I am really interested in getting one, but I want to make sure I know what I am doing first. Any info would be great!
  • aliceandria
    Options
    Jackie9950 wrote: »
    Hi, I am in a very similar situation. 5'2" and at my highest weight (recently) was 230lbs. I have been back on MFP for 45 days and am down to 210lbs. I started on MFP in Sept 2011 and lost 55lbs, and then struggled to lose more and gave up. I am back now and very determined. I have never had any health problems, but because I gained my weight back so quickly I have developed a "fatty liver" which can only be cured by getting in shape and following a healthy lifestyle. I feel that friends and the forums are great. There is so much information on this site and I have learned so much from the people on here. If you want, add me! I think support is vital!

I'll add you! It's so nice to hear that there are people in the same situations, struggling with the same vices, and so on. I'll be ecstatic with myself if I make it under 200! haha...