Help with breakfast, fyi I'm in vegetarian

Options
2»

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Avocado on toast. Baked oat bars (I usually put fruit and nuts in too).
  • timCt203
    timCt203 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    runmama411 wrote: »
    Check out the Post Punk Kitchen website - it's vegan, but man-awesome recipies!

Thanks will check it out!
  • timCt203
    Options
    cj94404 wrote: »
    Greek yogurt--lots of protein. I like tofu scrambles (less chloresterol). Peanut butter in my oatmeal. Crunchy peanutbutter. It is all about variety. Make a frittata instead of fried eggs. I love dinner for breakfast--fried rice and veggies. Have fun.

Lol,i just had oatmeal and loved my food and so your post oatmeal and peanut butter sound so good!
  • timCt203
    Options
    -Eggs or tofu with Morningstar sausage, wilted greens
    -smoothie (I drink them 5 days a week, check out my food diary.)
    -cottage cheese and fruit

Hi, New to this app,how do I check out your food diary? I tap your name says private. Thanks
  • itstimeRK
    itstimeRK Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Here are some of my faves:

Whole grain waffles and peanut butter
    Steel cut oats and a little maple syrup or fruit or some toasted pecans
    Low-fat Greek yogurt with fruit

• JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I like greek yogurt with berries and granola.

You could also switch up how you cook your eggs. I used to always eat them scrambled but now I eat them poached (and it actually does make a difference). You could also make an omelette with egg, spinach, mushroom, onion, tomato, etc.
  • chispaza
    chispaza Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Banana pancakes. Mash up a banana and stir in an egg. Then you can add whatever you want to that. I usually do some chia seeds, cinnamon, and vanilla. Then cook like you would pancakes and put some peanut butter on them. I also like to do chia seeds and some shredded coconut and almond extract but the coconut of course adds more fat and calories so I don't do that very often.
  • run2smile
    run2smile Posts: 11 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Good ideas already given here. Let's see, for b'fast I think "protein + produce."
    Some mornings it's left over protein from previous night's dinner and add a vegetable (salad, string beans, radishes) or fruit etc. Sometimes have a smoothie with brown rice protein powder, kale, 1/2 banana, turmeric, cinnamon, and water or small amount of fruit juice - I like less thick smoothies.
  • cj94404
    cj94404 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    run2smile wrote: »
    Good ideas already given here. Let's see, for b'fast I think "protein + produce."
    Some mornings it's left over protein from previous night's dinner and add a vegetable (salad, string beans, radishes) or fruit etc. Sometimes have a smoothie with brown rice protein powder, kale, 1/2 banana, turmeric, cinnamon, and water or small amount of fruit juice - I like less thick smoothies.

You like dinner for breakfast too! I think we get too stuck in ruts. And radishes! Pickled radishes are delicious.

• amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Loads of good suggestions so far.

One that I really like is to sautee some onions in olive oil and then add in some swiss chard (I like to chiffonade it, I like the thin ribbons). Then, I fry an egg and plop it on top... you could use tofu instead, or seitan, or any meat substitute you like, I suppose.

I also make pumpkin smoothies with canned pumpkin, almond milk, rolled oats, and pumpkin pie seasoning. Add some maple syrup if you can afford the sugar calories.

I've been eating oat bran as a hot cereal lately, too. It cooks quickly and has a low glycemic index. I add almond milk and walnuts and a sprinkle of flax meal.

Now that I think about it, any sauteed veggies with an egg on top would make me very happy in the morning! HMMMMM
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I also make green smoothies.

coconut water, avocado, kale (or spinach), cucumber, sometimes parsley, celery, protein powder, sometimes ginger and/or turmeric, and a half banana to sweeten it up a bit. I find veggie only smoothies to be difficult to drink. I can do it, but I don't enjoy it!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    -granola bar (I like kashi chocolate almond with sea salt or KIND bars) & hand fruit (plum, banana, orange, apple)
    -Pre-made veggie fritatas. I make them in muffin pans with egg, feta, bell peppers, and onions baked. Lots of recipes on pinterest.
    -Pumpernickel bread toasted with cottage cheese on top and craisins (or cottage cheese with any fixings like seeds, nuts, honey, fruit)
    -Morningstar brand vegetarian bacon and sausage patties
    -cereal and soy milk
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    What's in a protein pancake? Powder? Nut butter?

This protein pumpkin pancake uses whey protein and oat flour. I replace half the oat flour with white flour for a more pleasing texture, and I have a batch of the dry ingredients ready to go when inspiration hits. Pumpkin is frozen in to 1/2 cup muffin portions. This pancake is a proven hit in our family.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463845704988/
  • daltonjsmom
    daltonjsmom Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I use this recipe (stolen from http://www.familyfreshcooking.com/2012/01/16/blueberry-coconut-baked-steel-cut-oatmeal-recipe/, then modified) to make a moist baked Blueberry Oatmeal Casserole type dish. Go to the original website to get directions. I had to modify because I need a smaller portion and because of nut sensitivities.
    0.75 c (40g), Steel Cut Oats (Canada)
    0.25 tsp(s), Spices - Ginger, ground
    0.25 tsp(s), Fine Sea Salt
    3.00 cup (240mL), Dairy Free Coconut Milk Unsweetened
    0.12 cup, Dried Blueberries
    1.00 Packet, Truvia
    2.00 tbsp (12g), Unsweetened Medium Flaked Coconut
    1.75 cup(s), Blueberries - Raw
    4 servings=229 calories
    You can also freeze the leftovers and defrost for other mornings. I cut into 4's, put 3 into short/flat Mason jars and freeze. I set them out the night before and then nuke a bit for a hot, fresh yummy blueberry-coconut goody!
  • daltonjsmom
    Options
    I also LOVE spicy guacamole toast (with or without scrambled egg) or in a wrap (I use gluten-free out of necessity). When I make guacamole, I use lots of red onion and garlic, so it isn't so high in fat.
  • daltonjsmom
    Options
    I also do smoothies about 5 days per week. I start with 1-2 cups of cold decaf iced tea and then add in: lemon, grapefruit seed oil (look it up--it's amazing!), a small amount of Sunwarrior Vanilla protein powder, chlorella or wheatgrass powder, a probiotic capsule (open contents/toss capsule), a handful of greens (spinach/baby kale), no more than 1 cup of fruit (pumpkin, 1/2 banana, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, grapes, blackberries, etc.), seeds (pumpkin, flax, hemp, sunflower) and sometimes spices such as cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, etc.

Superfood add ins: camu camu berry powder, cacao powder, or maca, goji berries, marine phytoplankton, etc.

I can't handle milk, so I don't add yogurt or dairy. I have nut sensitivities, so I don't add those either or use almond milk anymore. I stick to seeds only, but I do sometimes substitute all or some liquid for unsweetened original coconut milk or H20 coconut water with pulp. With practice you learn what tastes good together. My goal is to keep the sugar low and the calories under 250. I drink it over ice. LOTS of nutrition in there (usually about 4 servings fruit/veg), so even if the rest of my day goes South, I at least started out right.
  • timCt203
    Options
    WOW!! So many great c
    I use this recipe (stolen from http://www.familyfreshcooking.com/2012/01/16/blueberry-coconut-baked-steel-cut-oatmeal-recipe/, then modified) to make a moist baked Blueberry Oatmeal Casserole type dish. Go to the original website to get directions. I had to modify because I need a smaller portion and because of nut sensitivities.
    0.75 c (40g), Steel Cut Oats (Canada)
    0.25 tsp(s), Spices - Ginger, ground
    0.25 tsp(s), Fine Sea Salt
    3.00 cup (240mL), Dairy Free Coconut Milk Unsweetened
    0.12 cup, Dried Blueberries
    1.00 Packet, Truvia
    2.00 tbsp (12g), Unsweetened Medium Flaked Coconut
    1.75 cup(s), Blueberries - Raw
    4 servings=229 calories
    You can also freeze the leftovers and defrost for other mornings. I cut into 4's, put 3 into short/flat Mason jars and freeze. I set them out the night before and then nuke a bit for a hot, fresh yummy blueberry-coconut goody!

Reading this got my mouth watery!!! Going to make this minute the truvia
  • bkolegraff
    bkolegraff Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    timCt203 wrote: »
    Everyday for the last 9 1/2 months I eat the same thing 2 or 3 eggs with toast,and strawberry preserve or oatmeal with chia seeds, cinnamon and syrup or honey, so tired of the same thing.I'm down 65 lbs and 90 lbs to go.please help, I can use all the support I can get!

My breakfast EVERY DAY is chilled swiss oatmeal. They sell it at corner bakery for $4.50, and its 350 calories. Although I make my own most of the time now. Its just oatmeal, low-fat yogart, granny smith apples (diced small) bananas, almond milk (or skim milk) all in equal amounts. Mix with some craisons, and set overnight. Fantastic stuff. Stays good for 3 days. Let me know if you are interested and I can give a few more details. Or just google "Swiss Oatmeal".