April 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Pandora_and_her_box
    Pandora_and_her_box Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Mileage update: just finished a treadmill run. I find treadmill so demotivating, especially when it's a beautiful day like today, but the thought of running through central London during my lunch break makes me come out in hives. Interval training made it easier and justifiable to look at the clock every two minutes. Now feeling great :)

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I noticed our own Jason ( @Stoshew71 ) Fitzgerald has training plans. I may go that route after I have a gait analysis done and see where I am on the back issue after a CT.

I have training plans posted somewhere? lol
    I can certainly help out in the way of increasing miles, but I don't have any official plans published anywhere unless you look at my Strava history. Or scroll backwards in time in these challenges until December 2013. lol

You have training personalized plans available... Am I correct? I don't think any are published. Sorry I wasn't concise.

For the community- I drive to a park to run. Out the front door isn't safe. Roads are poor and narrow, and traffic can't see you. Even if I braved traffic, there are dogs that will come after you. I could brave that but im not in to difusing a pack mentality of canines. So I drive to the park. I love my truck and its starting to smell like I've been getting in it after a sweaty run. Any suggestions? Ive started sitting on a towel.
  • MrsKGrady
    MrsKGrady Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Mileage update: just finished a treadmill run. I find treadmill so demotivating, especially when it's a beautiful day like today, but the thought of running through central London during my lunch break makes me come out in hives. Interval training made it easier and justifiable to look at the clock every two minutes. Now feeling great :)

exercise.png

I find that I can only run on the treadmill if I do intervals as it becomes incredibly boring. Glad to see I'm not alone. Still, you got in the miles so yay. :smile:
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    April
    5th - 4.6km (walk)
    6th - 5km
    7th - 5.5km
    8th - 6.6km
    9th - 10km
    11th - (cycling, turbotrainer, 17.5km not counted)
    14th - 3.68km

exercise.png

REALLY HOT day here in London, UK, not used to running in this temperature.
  • Pandora_and_her_box
    Options
    MrsKGrady wrote: »

exercise.png

I find that I can only run on the treadmill if I do intervals as it becomes incredibly boring. Glad to see I'm not alone. Still, you got in the miles so yay. :smile:

Thanks! you're definitely not alone, who wants to be stuck indoors when there's a beautiful world out there? The treadmill serves its purpose though, we just need these things to trick us it's not boring!

• skinnyby31
    skinnyby31 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    skinnyby31 wrote: »

exercise.png

Did my fastest km ever yesterday. Sill probably very slow in comparison to the majority of runners but it felt great.

Comparison is the thief of joy. Good job :)
    @SonicDeathMonkey80 - love this ^^^

@skinnyby31 - there are runners here of all levels and abilities, some are faster and some are slower but it doesn't matter because your times are yours alone and someone will likely always be faster/slower than you. We are here to share our love of running and appreciate each others accomplishments! Great job on your PR!!

Thanks for that! I'm delighted that I'm getting a bit faster as it feels like it's taking me forever to get a little faster
  • jonsmithkidd
    jonsmithkidd Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Half way through the month and I am only on 25 miles. I think 90 might have been very optimistic :-(
  • lesaw01
    lesaw01 Posts: 207 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    4-1 - 1.25 miles
    4-3 - 4.12 miles
    4-4 - 2.00 miles
    4-5 - 3.00 miles
    4-6 - 1.00 mile
    4-7 - 2.75 miles
    4-9 - 4.04 miles
    4-10 - 3.00 miles
    4-11 - 3.00 miles
    4-13 - 1.50 miles

exercise.png

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,396 Member
    Options
    For the community- I drive to a park to run. Out the front door isn't safe. Roads are poor and narrow, and traffic can't see you. Even if I braved traffic, there are dogs that will come after you. I could brave that but im not in to difusing a pack mentality of canines. So I drive to the park. I love my truck and its starting to smell like I've been getting in it after a sweaty run. Any suggestions? Ive started sitting on a towel.
    I don't drive to a running spot very often but when I do I cover my seat and seat back with a towel and wipe it all down when I get home. I have leather seats in my VW that make it easier.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

Frebreze needs to be your friend. I run from out my front door, but I drive some of Skip's soccer team home after practice almost 6 days a week. For pretty young ladies, they stink!

• harpere87
    harpere87 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • courtneypaige9
    courtneypaige9 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm still a beginner but I'm trying to get my mileage up to 20mi a week in April. Did 16mi last week. :)
  • millermkarate
    millermkarate Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't drive to a running spot very often but when I do I cover my seat and seat back with a towel and wipe it all down when I get home. I have leather seats in my VW that make it easier.

I usually put down my sweatshirt- now that I have a beater car- I'm significantly less concerned.
  • briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    DATE ... MILES ... TOTAL
    4/1 ... 8 ... 8
    4/2 ... 6 ... 14
    4/4 ... 23 ... 37
    4/6 ... 6.25 ... 43.25
    4/7 ... 6 ... 49.25
    4/9 ... 5 ... 54.25
    4/10 ... 3 ... 57.25
    4/11 ... 15 ... 72.25
    4/12 ... 2 ... 74.25
    4/13 ... 6.5 ... 80.75
    4/14 ... 6.5 ... 87.25

87.25/150 Goal

I hit 2 of my fastest miles in a very long time during my run this morning. I was just chit-chatting with my firend and not paying attention. Then he started laughing and asked if I knew what pace we were running. Oops! I guess all the miles I have been putting in are actually paying off.
  • briebee7
    Options

I do most of my runs out the door as well. If not I bring a towel to sit on and dry off with.
  • Pandora_and_her_box
    Options
    I'm still a beginner but I'm trying to get my mileage up to 20mi a week in April. Did 16mi last week. :)

That's a great goal. Everyone starts somewhere!

• briebee7
    Options
    teacton11 wrote: »
    briebee7 wrote: »
    @teacton11 - how old your kids that you can get a 10 miler in with them in the double stroller? I rarely run with the double anymore (mine are 2 & 5) and even when younger I always maxed out at about 6 with the double BOB.

Oldest son will be 3 in July and his younger brother just turned 7 months.

Oldest loves watching me race and is excited whenever I can bring him home a medal, wears it for the rest of the day and runs around with it (kinda makes me push harder when I race cause I love seeing that face when I can hand him something.) It is easier to go with him bc he feels he is part of it when I take him on runs. He "wants to go fast." Worst case scenario is I pull up some saved videos on my phone and let him watch when he looses his patience.

Younger is rather tricky. He is a bit of a sleeper but got to get him fully topped off and time it when he is most likely to nap. He usually falls asleep but sometimes he will just look around and enjoy the scenery. Of course we have those days where me or my wife will end up having to take him out and walk with him a bit while the other circles around or we call it a day.

We are just excited bc his pediatrician said he was strong enough to sit in the running stroller last month which means quality time with each other on a run. And yeah, Bobs are the only way to go.

No way I could ever take the youngest without two of us though. I'm not the brave. I just got lucky bc my wife is a runner as well (she actually got me into it.) Her last marathon she placed 4th age group while pregnant so yeah, she's kinda awesome and keeps me on my toes.

I love that running is such a family affair for you all as it is with many on this thread. It was definately trickier to plan runs when the kids were younger. I remember that well.

Your wife does sound amazing! A marathong pregnant? I am truly impressed! :) My husband doesn't run however he is one of my biggest supporters (as are the kiddos).
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    First recovery run after the half last weekend, while also simultaneously in a taper for the half this weekend. :-p I hope I didn't overestimate my miles for the month.

4/1 - 6 miles
    4/4 - 6.1 miles
    4/6 - 2.3 miles
    4/11 - 13.1 miles Half Marathon 2:42:09.4
    4/14 - 2.26 miles

exercise.png

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    1 - 12mi, intervals
    2 - 6mi, easy
    3 - 8mi, easy w/strides