what going wrong please

Options
So i've been working on weight loss for about a year now..i lost 3 stones and was v happy.Had a bit of a set back at xmas and an injury .I gained 8 lbs over this peiod. This last week i have been to the gym 4 times and burnt 500 calories...and a 20 mile bike ride which also burned around 500. My daily calorie intake should be 1760 for a 2lb a week loss..however i have been over this by between 100 and 1000 calories including the caloris burnt. Weighted myself this morning and weights gone up again...what on earth is going wrong..i weight out all my food so i am pretty sure im accurate as recording....any suggestion would be apprecaited

Replies

• castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    My guess is that 1) you are overestimating your exercise calories or 2) you are having too many days of eating over what you actually burn. Going to see if I can see your diary on my iPod.
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I can't. But I imagine you'll get lots of good advice and some not-as helpful. Good luck!
  • ballyclover007
    ballyclover007 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure cals burnt are correct..the machines i use all use age, weight etc plus i knock off around 150 to allow for error, so i under estimate...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure cals burnt are correct..the machines i use all use age, weight etc plus i knock off around 150 to allow for error, so i under estimate...
    Machines are actually known to be 20-25% higher than actuals as a marketing thing...no kidding I didn't make that up. Some makers had to come clean about it.

As for why I suspect if you are back to exercise it's water retention etc for muscle repair....don't stress it.

However you only have 38lbs to lose why 2lbs a week that is typically set aside for those with over 100lbs to lose.
  • ballyclover007
    Options
    Hi sexy..lol...... i put down 500 cals but the machines often say 700 odd so i under estimate by roughly 20% anyway. I put 2lbs a week as a guess for the quickest loss..are you saying that in fact i would be better of changing to 1lb or less per week?and thank you
  • ballyclover007
    Options
    ?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    With 38 lbs to lose, I would aim for 1-2 lbs per week. Weight often goes up right after you change your exercise routine. You can expect it to stabilize and begin to drop again in a couple of weeks. Eating more than your goal doesn't help, but as long as you aren't eating more than you burn, you will lose weight eventually.
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I was going to say, dont go by what the machines tell you, but someone already did. I bought a heart rate monitor and it is much more accurate, great investment. Also, give yourself a full day of rest and recovery before weighing yourself. After an intense workout, your muscles are holding on to water trying to repair themselves, so the scale will be higher. Good luck with all. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Sounds like water retention, as the muscles repair.
  • ballyclover007
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thank you guys..So i will drop my goal to 1lb a week. As i understand it as long as i eat less than the calories intake that would keep my weight the same i should loose.

So how can i fix water retention?