trying to gain 10 lbs

Options
Trying to gain 10 lbs. I'm 33, 109 lbs and 5'5. I increased my calorie intake but would love some advise on what exactly I should eat.

Replies

• mikevandewetering
    mikevandewetering Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Just eat food that most likely make you stick to your plan. And also don't go to fast with gaining weight take it slow and steady.
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Are you lifting? Without lifting, be aware that nearly all that extra weight will be fat.
  • Vcorz
    Vcorz Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Of course, at only 109 pounds at 5'5, gaining fat could be a good thing....
  • aimsr23
    aimsr23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just started lifting again. I would like to add bulk and mainly muscle mass. I don't want to be fluffy lol. I'm clean eating but maybe too clean?
  • terizius
    Options
    ok, good :) When it comes to bulking (or gaining weight in general), you have to get enough calories. Most people find it extremely difficult to do that with only "healthy" foods. In my bulk, my intake of whole milk, ice cream and wine has increased dramatically. Bigger bang for the buck than increasing my fresh salad intake. Fortunately, as long as your lifting and building muscle, your body doesn't care if your calories come from ice cream or iceberg lettuce.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    When I bulk I set my macros and shoot for 150 cals over maintenance. Truly I'm only concerned with hitting enough protein and fats. If I go over I don't worry so much as long as I met them and my calorie goal. And lifting helps add that as muscle. If it takes two years of slow gaining....well, there's nothing wrong with that.
  • Bennysammysofie39
    Bennysammysofie39 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Drink a bunch of beer each night :)
    Seriously, workout heavy
  • todd_christina
    todd_christina Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights. (No pink dumbbells!) Obviously increase your caloric intake. You need to take in more calories than you are burning. Eat calorie dense foods such as nuts, avocados and whole milk. Add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil to your protein shakes. You could also drink 2 Ensure Pluses a day in ADDITION to your regular meals. Each one is 350 calories. That's 700 additional calories a day.
  • ParisSolati
    ParisSolati Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm trying to gain 20 pounds! It's so hard! I'm 21, 5'8 and sitting at 101lb. I'm just eating anything and everything I can hahah. I'm also using the mass iv weight gainer from gnc and that helps tremendously (plus it tastes delicious) good luck!
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm currently gaining around 2lbs a month by eating 2800cals a day which is 300cals over my maintenance. I lift heavy 5 days a week which is a must if you don't want your gains to be fat. Food choices can be relatively 'clean' (hate that word) e.g. chicken, steak, bread, pasta, rice, oats, peanut butter, bananas, protein shakes, dextrose, nuts, fish, etc but don't be afraid to reach for ice cream and snacks to make up those calories. Send me a FR with a brief message and check out my diary, only too happy to advise you along the way :)
  • aimsr23
    aimsr23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help. I'm gluten free due to a allergy so it's hard to eat carbs. I went over my goal today and ate 2,573 calories which was very hard to do for me. I will definitely take any other advise anyone else has.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    aimsr23 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your help. I'm gluten free due to a allergy so it's hard to eat carbs. I went over my goal today and ate 2,573 calories which was very hard to do for me. I will definitely take any other advise anyone else has.

You can easily add gluten free carbs (rice is a good example), and lots of the previously mentioned calorie foods are also gluten free. Take the lists you've been give and just weed out what you can't eat.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Drink a bunch of beer each night :)
    Seriously, workout heavy

I'm thinking this isn't a great way to go. Nothing against beer, but drinking every night would inhibit my ability to effectively workout. I had three last night, and I was super excited that today I don't lift. Granted, the three beers were all imperial stouts...
  • Shouliveshappy
    Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm currently thinking of bulking as my body fat is already low enough, 8.8% (on handheld scanner) - 15.6% (on those tanita bodyweight machine) for females.

Is it still necessary to track calories and macros when on a bulk then?

• terizius
    Options
    Absolutely! If you aren't gaining enough, or gaining too much, you won't know how much to adjust if you don't track.
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Eat in cal surplus -- train -- and sleep = repeat