How many calories burned in strength training?

Options
Hello all!

Just wondering how to calculate things like lunges, squats, butt burners, etc... into my caloric intake. For example, I did a class at the gym called "Burn" that has some cardio, but mostly toning exercises like I just mentioned. I know I worked really hard and broke quite a sweat but when I enter it in my "Track Exercise" section, they don't register as calories burned.

What do you all do for this to be able to eat back all the work you do when it comes to these exercises? Do I burn enough calories doing these things to be able to eat more?

Thanks in advance--I appreciate any advice!

-Amanda

Replies

• RosieMastin
    Options
    I'm hoping to find out the same thing!! Thanks for posting this!
  • ginathebean
    Options
    ah, i was hoping for information on this as well!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    For that type of class, probably calisthenics is the best entry, or maybe aerobics, depending on how much of it was cardio.

For weight training, as in lifting, you can use "strength training", but it can be a very innacurate estimate, as it there are a lot of variables (weight, reps, rest, etc).
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    When I first started logging my strength training, I would log 60 minutes and I would accept the number it gave me, which was around 183 calories. I couldn't figure out why I would work on my legs and be absolutely starving all day after buring so few calories. So I got an HRM and found out that in my 60 minutes of working my legs, I was actually burning more than 500 calories - HUGE difference! I really recommend getting an HRM and using that information - it's SO much more accurate.
  • remaho80
    remaho80 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've read to log it as calisthenics. Hope that helps!
  • Slayer66
    Slayer66 Posts: 265
    Options
    I enter my strength training under cardio, and enter the individual things on the strength area, you can check my diary to know what i mean =) I keep a tab on my heart rate while im doing it, so I figure in the 50 - 60 mins I take, I am probably doing about 30 mins or so of weights. Soooo since i try to go fast enough to keep my heart rate up a bit I just enter about 280 cals burned, which i estimate from other monitored exercises I do for roughly the same time, minus a few cals. But i also don't eat them all back to be safe hehe.

/end babble, hope that sorta helps !
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting -- I am having a hard time staying motivated on the strength training. It's really hard to do push-ups and sit-ups and I'm not even at the point to where I can lift weights. For me, it's so much easier to do aerobic and see the calories burned (so I can eat more!). Also, I seem to improve so much faster with aerobics.

Anyway, I just got a taste of the HRM with the eaSports, and I am hooked. I ordered a Body Bugg and it should be here Friday. I am hoping to track an accurate burn for my strength training -- I am hoping to see progress soon!