my nutritional plan

Options
So I just had a food plan made at the gym by one of the personal trainers and I just wanted to see what everyone thought of the macros. He has me at carbs 319g fat 35g and protein 133. My goal is to lose weight but wasn't sure if the carbs seemed a bit high.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The calorie deficit is what is going to generate weight loss.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    That's 60% Carbs, 15% Fat and 25% Protein. Without knowing any more information, I'd recommend more fat at a minimum (with the reduction in carbs). I like 40C/30F/30P ratios, but that works for me and not everyone.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    That's got you just over 2100 calories per day, which is probably about right, but the carbs seem a bit high, and fat low, to me. See how you feel. As long as you're in a deficit, feel good, have energy and aren't hungry, you'll be fine. I would be wary of a nutritional plan done by a trainer unless he is also a registered dietician.
  • kriegmeister
    kriegmeister Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thats a massive amount of carbs and I'd cut it by at least half and replace those calories with proteins and healthy fats.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    A ratio heavy on the carbs like that seems behind the curve when it comes to our present knowledge about nutrition. 40/30/30 is probably more reasonable. Low fat-high carb is yesterday's idea of a good diet. Here's a good, science-based, up-to-date source: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2012/06/21/ask-the-expert-healthy-fats/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    So I just had a food plan made at the gym by one of the personal trainers and I just wanted to see what everyone thought of the macros. He has me at carbs 319g fat 35g and protein 133. My goal is to lose weight but wasn't sure if the carbs seemed a bit high.

Does this trainer know what you're doing for exercise, etc? Personally, for me, that ratio would be just fine...maybe a little low on fat, but that's about the bare minimum you would need for proper hormone regulation, etc...and it might be a bit difficult unless you seriously only want to eat chicken breast and cod or something...

The carbs aren't going to have jack *kitten* to do with whether you lose weight or not...carbs aren't this evil thing that everyone seems to think they are...I eat a lot of carbs, but I also spend a fare amount of time on my bike as well as in the gym lifting...carbs are my rocket fuel. Maybe if you are more or less sedentary, that it a lot of carbs...but if you're pretty active, it's not really.

I don't know what your LBM is so I can't really comment on the protein, but it looks fine to me...I try to get anywhere from 0.8 - 1 gram per Lb of LBM which is a relatively big range.

• Newdarylord
    Newdarylord Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm 5.9 and weigh 14 stone 11 lbs
  • Newdarylord
    Newdarylord Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    amyrebeccah
    I'm 5.9 and weigh 14 stone 11 lbs
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd eat a lot more fat and a little more protein. Perhaps play with the numbers to get the same calories but with slightly altered macros
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'd be pretty hungry on that macro distribution. I'd switch out a big hunk of those carbs for fat and protein. That fat is REALLY low.