GOING OVER SUGAR DAILY GOAL

Options
2»

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I stopped tracking sugar after my first week here. I reached my goal weight approximately 6 months later (-37 lbs) and am now in maintenance. I eat a lot of sugar from both fruits, dairy, and actual sugar, each and every day.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    kayvanne wrote: »
    I think it makes a difference too on where your sugar comes from (refined vs natural).

No, your body does not distinguish between sugar. Moderation in all things is good.

This is inaccurate. Different sugars have different chemical structures and are thus metabolized differently.

You can say the same for all food, but Regardless of what kind of sugar it is or where it came from at the end of the day a calorie is a calorie and 3500 of them = a pound of fat.

I'm 33 grams over in sugar today. I am doomed. So doomed. :neutral:
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    sushi4days wrote: »
    I always thought that sugars from fruit were somehow "less bad" for you than refined sugar? I eat SO much fruit its redic... but I've still been losing, (only a month in though...) Anyway, I guess its just your calories in/out?

For fat loss it doesn't matter. However there are other reasons to limit sugar.
  • ButterflyGirl2002
    ButterflyGirl2002 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    For the next couple of days, I am going to work on not going over my sugar. I went over my sodium yesterday. Will work on that too. :)
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    For the next couple of days, I am going to work on not going over my sugar. I went over my sodium yesterday. Will work on that too. :)

So basically everyone here advised you to not stress about going over your minimum sugar requirements, and you're still choosing to focus on it? Sounds legit.
  • Camo_xxx
    Options

So basically everyone here advised you to not stress about going over your minimum sugar requirements, and you're still choosing to focus on it? Sounds legit.

Perhaps she isn't stressed about it at all but just wants to she how it may or may not affect her personally. There are plenty of other legitimate reasons to limit your sugar.
  • kriegmeister
    kriegmeister Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    kayvanne wrote: »
    I think it makes a difference too on where your sugar comes from (refined vs natural).

No, your body does not distinguish between sugar. Moderation in all things is good.

This is inaccurate. Different sugars have different chemical structures and are thus metabolized differently.

I disagree. However, please explain what you mean and share how this has anything to do with weight loss, because weight loss in strictly calories in/calories out.

Sure, if weight loss is your goal, keep eating whatever you want and do as much exercise to ensure your in deficit. You'll end up skinny fat like most distance runners. If body fat is what you want to lose while maximizing muscle retention (much better for all reasons) it can get a little bit more detailed than CICO.

Glucose is a monosaccharide that often combines with and creates other forms of sugar (e.g. sucrose, lactose)

Fructose is an isomer of glucose. Some people have a harder time digesting fructose than others. Fructose (in the form of certain fruits, corn syrup, etc.) can cause everything from bloating to diarrhea in these folks. Some experts argue that fructose is a better choice for those with diabetes/insulin resistance because it’s more densely sweet, which encourages people to use less. It also has a lower glycemic value than glucose or sucrose reducing spikes in insulin (which promotes the storage of excess sugars in adipose tissue).

Sucrose is a disaccharide sugar comprised of fructose and glucose in a 1:1 ratio. Given that sucrose contains a large amount of fructose, it shows similar metabolic patterns to the monosaccharide fructose and particularly to high fructose corn syrup, which is commonly blended to an approximate 55% fructose: 45% glucose mixture.

Raw Honey consists of dextrose and fructose (broken down from sucrose through honey bee’s digestion) in a nearly 1:1 ratio (with other components such as water, wax, nutrients, etc.). Raw honey has a glycemic index of about 30, but processed honey clocks in around 75.

Palm Sugar & Coconut Sugar is largely sucrose-based and registers in the 30s/40s on the GI.

As I said originally, going over an arbitrary sugar goal isn't the end of the world and its effects can be mitigated by consuming them around workouts. But to say all sugars are equal and it doesn't matter is somewhat irresponsible.
  • Camo_xxx
    Options
    The diffrent types of sugars do not alter CICO or how you lose body fat.

They diffrent types of sugars and their metabolic rates simply determine how quickly your body processes them and how quickly your body turns them into glycogen or fat for use as energy. skinny fat is a result of BF to muscle mass ratios. Distance runners tend to not add muscle mass as endurance and not muscle mass is their goal. But not all or even most distance runners are skinny fat though.
    Losing muscle mass during calorie deficit is a matter of the rate at which you can burn body fat and the rate at which use and repair muscle.