Calories to burn daily

Options
I am trying to intake 1200 cal per day...What is a good amount of calories to focus on burning per day?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. MFP is set so you can lose without exercise (as you burn plenty of calories just by living and going about your day). Just make sure you eat half of those calories back since your intake is low.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    There isn't a set number. Things to keep in mind:
    • A large percentage of your calorie burn for a day is your BMR. These are the calories your body burns to keep your insides working properly. For example, mine is approx 1430. So I burn 1430 calories without any activity. Getting up to go to the bathroom, walking to the kitchen, going shopping, etc all add to that number.
    • Exercise only amounts for a small portion of your daily calorie burn (with the exception of athletes or people doing extreme training for something). My recommendation for working out is to focus on meeting the CDC recommendations for a healthy adult.
    • Don't burn yourself out trying to do to much all at once. Take things slow and easy. MFP gives you a calorie goal to eat at that doesn't require you to workout at all to lose weight.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    1200 is your base calories and you will earn more through exercise. That amount is up to you.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    It's up to you. MFP is set so you can lose without exercise (as you burn plenty of calories just by living and going about your day). Just make sure you eat half of those calories back since your intake is low.

This^

1200 is already pretty low. Older folks (I'm over 50) use less calories...so 1200 isn't extreme. But if you are going to workout you will want to eat back some calories as you aren't looking to lose lots and lots of weight.
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I was eating 1200 calories a day and burning between 600-800 calories/day according to my Fitbit Charge HR (I turn the activity mode on when working out). I usually eat back around 300-500 of those burned though if needed.
  • agal129
    agal129 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You should aim for at least 150 minutes a week of moderate aerobic activity or 75 minutes a week of vigorous aerobic activity. Not sure how many calories that amounts up to.
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Thank all of you!! I workout at least 4-5 x a week usually 1.5 hours a day. I just want to make sure I'm on track...Thank you for your support!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Thank all of you!! I workout at least 4-5 x a week usually 1.5 hours a day. I just want to make sure I'm on track...Thank you for your support!
    You'll need to eat more than 1200 total calories per day to sustain that level of activity.
  • luvpeggy
    luvpeggy Posts: 5
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Actually the formula for your calorie target is as follows: I got this formula from a program called 21 Day Fix. A Nutritional program that is centered around portion control. The formula will give you the caloric intake for a healthy weight loss. Remember you can cause weight gain by having a calorie deficit as well. This formula is specific to your profile. Step 1: Multiply your current weight x 11 = YOUR CALORIC BASELINE; Step 2: YOUR CALORIC BASELINE + 400 = YOUR CALORIC NEEDS; Step 3: YOUR CALORIC NEEDS - 700 will give you YOUR CALORIC TARGET. That's it. NOTE - If the number is less than 1200 round up to 1200. If the number is MORE than 2300, round DOWN to 2300.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    luvpeggy wrote: »
    Actually the formula for your calorie target is as follows: I got this formula from a program called 21 Day Fix. A Nutritional program that is centered around portion control. The formula will give you the caloric intake for a healthy weight loss. Remember you can cause weight gain by having a calorie deficit as well. This formula is specific to your profile. Step 1: Multiply your current weight x 11 = YOUR CALORIC BASELINE; Step 2: YOUR CALORIC BASELINE + 400 = YOUR CALORIC NEEDS; Step 3: YOUR CALORIC NEEDS - 700 will give you YOUR CALORIC TARGET. That's it. NOTE - If the number is less than 1200 round up to 1200. If the number is MORE than 2300, round DOWN to 2300.

Please explain?
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    luvpeggy wrote: »

Yes please explain mine shows then my target calories would be 1900. If you need to please PM me.

I am also anemic and even though I workout I'm tired all of the time. (also cancer survivor)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    There is no explanation. You aren't going to gain weight if you are eating in a calorie deficit (barring medical conditions of course).
  • juliannacollett
    juliannacollett Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If I use this formula my calorie intake is 1460 but the calculator on mfp say 1200 is my goal. What should I be using as a guide. I have been trying to stay at 1300 but the scale is not budging .
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. Intake nor burn. Only the difference - Net Calories - That's the *ONLY* thing that matters.
  • kascott4691
    kascott4691 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If I use this formula my calorie intake is 1460 but the calculator on mfp say 1200 is my goal. What should I be using as a guide. I have been trying to stay at 1300 but the scale is not budging .

The only way you are going to lose weight is the burn more calories than you eat. You can adjust the MfP calculator so it is not set in stone.
  • juliannacollett
    juliannacollett Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ok thanks so I am thnking I need to get a Fit Bit or some sort of calorie burn tracker .
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,659 Member
    Options
    Your mfp goal is probably based on 2lbs a week or 1000 cal deficit.
    The advertisement's goal is based on a 700 cal deficit.