Would you reccommend slimming world?

Options
rolom3
rolom3 Posts: 28 Member
There's one near me €9 a week and I'm poor so don't want to join unless it's worth it!

Replies

• mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    My mum and brother have both lost weight on it..... but they've both put it back on, and off and on and off.

This is what the NHS says:
    http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/loseweight/pages/top-10-most-popular-diets-review.aspx#slimming-world-diet

Personally, I don't like the "you can eat as much of this as you like because it's sin free" attitude. I feel it has lulled my family into a false sense of security and thinking that calories are not important and that has prevented them from keeping the weight off.

I know it works for some people, however. The main positive that I can see is having a physical support group. If you're fairly self-motivated and feel that support from internet strangers is enough for you, I'd say go with MFP and don't bother with slimming world. If you need 'real' people to help motivate yourself, you might want to consider a slimming club, or starting your own.
  • rolom3
    Options
    Thanks! Yeah I tend to eat loads of whatever I'm allowed to eat so I'd probably lose nothing. Hopefully this site will be enough support :)
  • heather_jg
    heather_jg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love the slimming world recipes and use them to create my family meals but I don't follow the diet as the whole 'eat as much of this certain food' really throws me and doesn't teach me portion control.
    I just count the calories in the recipe instead and work it into my allowance.
  • jennakearney
    jennakearney Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've tried it twice as people around me had used it and it worked for them, but it just didn't work for me and I found it quite confusing at times and some of the logic behind it a bit bizarre e.g. I was told that its fine to eat chicken as long as you take the skin off before you eat it, but surely the fat from the skin cooks into the chicken as it's cooking? or am I wrong. Anyway it hasn't worked for me, but I like the recipes. I'm going to stick to eating healthily and exercising as that worked for me the most before.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    It worked for me. I lost 4 and half stone with Slimming World for years ago and have kept if off.
  • Les_B_FitNotFat
    Les_B_FitNotFat Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've tried slimming world and WW. WW worked for me lost 6 stone originally about 15 years ago, although have gained a stone back mainly due to an injury. I found with slimming world if I was told a food was "free" then I would stuffmyface with it. Many people struggle with the lack of portion control hence why we have issues in the first place. Hope that helps :)
  • rolom3
    Options
    Cool, I'll be finished my exams (and school forever!) in June and I'm planning to lose the 2 stone when I'm free of stress. I'll consider joining slimming world then, may not need to though!
  • Stephanie3399
    Stephanie3399 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of Slimming World, but I use Advocare products to assist in my weight loss and fitness! I find that the recommended diet partnered with the products really helped get me going and continues to help me lose weight. However, If I wasn't following a healthy diet I do not think the products would work as well. Let me know if you want me to tell ya more about it!
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    It still boils down to producing a calorie deficit, and you can do that for free with MFP. Have you entered all your details and got your calorie goal? If so, try logging all your food for a few weeks and see if it works for you (hint: it will, as long as you're accurate in logging - ideally use a food scale)

The best thing is, it's free!
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of Slimming World, but I use Advocare products to assist in my weight loss and fitness! I find that the recommended diet partnered with the products really helped get me going and continues to help me lose weight. However, If I wasn't following a healthy diet I do not think the products would work as well. Let me know if you want me to tell ya more about it!

Advocare is very expensive, so I don't think it would be what the OP is looking for. I won't comment further on whether it could possibly be worth it...