Luna Protein Bars!

Options
Who here has tried them?? They're "for women", but they're so good.. I had a coconut chocolate and peanut butter chocolate one today (oops). The coconut one was 9g protein, 3g fiber, gluten free, 190 calories. A little high but I find them pretty yum.

Replies

• shapenerfiterratii
    shapenerfiterratii Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    AND I forgot to mention, the protein-y taste in them is reaally mild.
  • nancyjay__
    nancyjay__ Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    The usual protein bar I eat is about 20g of protein at like 130cals. I was reading it once and I think they're targeted for women because they have omega 3 which women "need".

In my opinion they are too high on sugar cals and can't really be called a "protein bar" with only 9grams. More of a candy bar.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I used to eat them but I'm pretty "bar-ed" out. There was a lemon one that was pretty tasty, don't know if they still make it. Yes, and they are pretty high in sugar as pp said, guess I'd rather eat candy :)
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I like the peppermint bar occassionally but I wouldn't consider it a protein bar. They are tasty and relatively cheap in comparison to others but like nancyjay said it's more of a glorified candy bar IMO.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yeah that's an energy bar, or just bad macro ratios. Never tried them though, I go for the ones with at least 20g! Can be higher calorie but it better helps me meet my protein needs so not an issue for me. I don't eat bars targeted to women. The ones I eat r easily have 200-300 calories. I've liked xtreme and power bar brands, I had a cliff one recently that was good too but I forget the calories on that. I pay zero attention to sugar and carbs because both are good things *continues eating caramel and chocolate popcorn*
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Eating a Luna bar right now (not the protein one though). I usually keep a few in my desk, but with 13g sugar, I don't eat them regularly. Just a now and then treat. I actually prefer them to a candy bar.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    It should be illegal to call something with 9g of protein a "protein bar." Same calorie count as a Quest bar with less than half the protein? No thanks. They'd have to taste like a freaking donut for me to switch.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I think they just called it "protein" as it has 2-3 grams more than the regular Luna bars. I used to eat them quite often (Mint Chocolate and Cookies & Cream), but now I splurge and get Quest bars for my fill of protein.
  • nancyjay__
    Options
    Quest bars are my ssssshhhhhhiiiiiii <3
  • shapenerfiterratii
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I think they just called it "protein" as it has 2-3 grams more than the regular Luna bars. I used to eat them quite often (Mint Chocolate and Cookies & Cream), but now I splurge and get Quest bars for my fill of protein.

Lol as a newbie I had no idea :hushed: Learned some stuff today. I've heard so much about these quest bars and I reeeaaalllyyy want sommee!!!
    I just thought they were good. And they cut my hot chips cravings, so.. lol.
  • shapenerfiterratii
    Options
    nancyjay__ wrote: »
    The usual protein bar I eat is about 20g of protein at like 130cals. I was reading it once and I think they're targeted for women because they have omega 3 which women "need".

In my opinion they are too high on sugar cals and can't really be called a "protein bar" with only 9grams. More of a candy bar.

Which protein bar do you use? and lol I had nooo idea
  • girlperson666
    girlperson666 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I really like Luna bars! I prefer to eat simplyprotein bar, which has 15g protein for ~150 calories if I'm looking to boost my protein for the day (I don't eat a lot of meat, so it happens) but the Luna bars taste really great and I think they're a pretty nice breakfast on the run for days when I miss my alarm, or desserts at the end of the day if I'm real low!
  • ninjawaffles22
    ninjawaffles22 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have tried them. They are tasty, but I have to agree with everyone else on this. Protein too low to be called a protein bar. Plus, it has way too much sugar. I would recommend to switching something like a Pure Protein bar. The chocolate deluxe has 21g of protein at only 180 calories and 3g of sugar and are delicious! They are also inexpensive compared to most protein bars. You can get them about anywhere you get Luna bars.
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I used to eat them and I liked them. But I dumped them after joining this site because I wanted a protein bar with more protein than carbs and sugar.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Quest bars on the regular and ocassionally a pure protein bar.
  • nancyjay__
    Options
    nancyjay__ wrote: »

Which protein bar do you use? and lol I had nooo idea

The quest bars are so good, 20 grams of protein!. There are desserts you can make with protein powder like protein balls, brownies pancakes cupcakes all of which will have more protein than the Luna bars ....there are sooooo many recipes for protein baked snacks on the quest website and online