How many ounces are in a cup - of spaghetti, that is??

Options
Nikkita29
Nikkita29 Posts: 20 Member
Ok, this may be a really stupid question. Which is okay, since I've never claimed to know it all. But the only kind of pasta I eat is Dreamfields Low Carb/Low Glycemic Index pasta, and all the serving sizes are given in ounces on the box. I measure out my cooked pasta by the cup/half cup. I have absolutely no idea how to enter the correct servings I'm taking in on my log. Any help would be appreciated!!

Replies

• Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    A cup is 8 oz. So if the serving size is 2oz, just put 3 servings. Then measure out your sauce separately :-)
  • jen31889
    jen31889 Posts: 121
    Options
    IDK the answer to your questions, but I used to be a huge pasta eater. I quit eating pasta because serving sizes were depressing, but was turned out to spaghetti squash which is very low in calorie and tastes great. Have you tried spaghetti squash?
  • AJelinski
    AJelinski Posts: 36
    Options
    Measure it dry using a scale prior to cooking, or after it's cooked, measure out a cup and put it on a scale.
  • CuteMommy88
    CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    2 oz of uncooked spagetti is equivilent to 1 cup cooked
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Because 2x3=8?

The 2oz referred to is weight, not 2 fluid oz. 1 cup is 8 fl oz of liquid.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    @ The OP: I LOVE YOUR NAME! It is my character's name in WoW hehehe
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Consider buying a scale that has all units of measurement. I just got one that cost me 25 bucks and I love it. No more guess work!
  • AJelinski
    AJelinski Posts: 36
    Options
    IDK the answer to your questions, but I used to be a huge pasta eater. I quit eating pasta because serving sizes were depressing, but was turned out to spaghetti squash which is very low in calorie and tastes great. Have you tried spaghetti squash?

Spaghetti Squash is awesome. Had a cup of the stuff at lunch today with some roast. I seasoned it with a little salt, black pepper, onion powder and cayenne pepper (to give it a Kick!) There are so many ways to enjoy the stuff, to include putting spaghetti sauce on it.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Do not confuse the ounce of weight with the fluid ounce, because they are not the same; there is no standard conversion between weight and volume unless you know the density of the ingredient. Dry ingredients measured in ounces is weight not the volume ounces. A cup (8 ounces liquid) of pasta is not the same as 8 ounces in dry ingredients. You would need a scale to see what that is. Also, dry and cooked weight also differ.
  • thebigwindmill
    thebigwindmill Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I go here for when I need to know this: whatscookingamerica.net/Pasta_Rice_Main/pasta.htm It's under the "how to measure pasta - pasta equivalents" section. Hope that helps
  • Nikkita29
    Nikkita29 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hmm.... can I just pick the answer I like best? lol... this is way too hard to figure out! I guess I need to just break down and invest in a food scale.