Question - Weighing Meat/Other Cooked Foods

Options
If I'm weighing something that loses a good bit of weight in cooking (i.e. ground turkey/beef), should I be weighing my portion before or after cooking? I'm new to weighing, so I figure better to pull from others' expertise.

Thanks!

Replies

• jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Unless it is specified as cooked weight it is most commonly uncooked weight. I.e. weigh before you cook on most items.
  • FairhavenDS
    FairhavenDS Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot! I certainly appreciate the help.

Christian
  • fit4life1985
    fit4life1985 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Before. If you weigh it after, it could lead to underestimating its calories and macronutrients due to water loss.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I always weigh meat raw :-)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Raw
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter. Just use the entry that corresponds to how you weighed it. Some things I almost always weigh raw, others I almost always weigh cooked. I go by ease and convenience.
  • FairhavenDS
    FairhavenDS Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the insight, folks. Certainly takes a little more planning when I'm making food for the family, but I'll manage!
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    There are cooked entries for meat. I log these entries and have lost steadily at or slightly ahead of the rate I set in goals. Whatever the margin of error is, it hasn't cut into my deficit.

I'm not doing a separate pan for my portion.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything that is dry/solid in its raw/uncooked state. It's the most accurate
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,668 Member
    Options
    Depends on the database entry you pick....