Best machine for bench strength?

Options
dxp232
dxp232 Posts: 28 Member
I work out the majority of my muscle groups regularly but want to increase my overall bench press strength (just a personal goal). When I work out alone I avoid the bench since I dont have a spotter so what is the best overall exercise I can do to mimic that motion and work those muscle groups? (I assume its a chest press or push up but want some expertise). Thanks in advance!

Replies

• keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Sometimes there's a chest press machine; I don't know what your gym has.

There's pushups; a regular pushup has you pushing somewhere around 60% of your bodyweight. If that's not heavy enough, do decline pushups.

I would also say triceps and shoulders would help contribute to a stronger bench but at some point, you have to just bench.

If you don't have a spotter you can do it inside a power rack with the bars set up. If your gym doesn't have a rack, see if you can ask someone to spot you for a few reps.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You should still be able to bench without a spotter. You are going to be able to feel if you are even close to not being able to finish the next rep before you start it.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I have never seen a machine that remotely mimics bench pressing. Maybe do some dumbbell benches or something instead if you are seriously worried. I work out alone and don't have a regular spotter, but if there is nothing wrong with asking someone in the weight room for a quick spot if they are between sets.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Personally, I used the Smith machine when I wanted to take my bench up a few notches. It isn't ideal, of course, but on those days when it's just me (or don't feel like talking to anyone for spots) I can load it up and put the bench in there to do it. Before I did that, I was stuck at 100 lbs on my own (including 45 lb bar), now I've been able to add a couple of tens onto each side.

I've also found that doing some HEAVY cable flyes has helped as well. I do push-ups as well, but more as an accessory item. I do know some women who focus on those. It just isn't my personal preference.

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    If you want a bigger bench, then you need to bench. Don't have a spotter? Work inside a power rack or learn how to properly do a roll of shame.

A proper powerlifting bench is truly full body - legs, back, delts and triceps far more then pecs.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Ask someone to spot you.
    Or floor presses, push ups.

Bar on the smith weighs less than an oly bar...
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Dumbbell bench is the only exercise that comes close. Try stay away from machines.
  • dxp232
    dxp232 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice folks! Am i better off trying to get close to my limit and judging whether or not I can complete the next rep or doing lower weight and just increasing the reps?
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I added an assistance day where I use the chest press and work my triceps using the cables. As soon as I added this (welI, did this for a couple of weeks), I was finally able to complete my 5x5 on bench.

You can always ask a staff member at the gym for a spot. My husband does it all of the time, and the people are always willing to help.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    dxp232 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice folks! Am i better off trying to get close to my limit and judging whether or not I can complete the next rep or doing lower weight and just increasing the reps?

I think that most people are best served by following an established program that tells you when to increase the reps and/or weight. Following a plan takes the guess work out of the process and gives you more of an assurance that you can deal with the increases.

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells (flat, incline, decline) and dips
  • KingRat79
    KingRat79 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    the best exercise for building a big bench is with out doubt bench pressing. if your worried about lifting without a spotter then either bench in a power rack or learn to either do the role of shame or how to dump the weights.