Help kicking the Monster Drink habit

Options
AzTriathlete
AzTriathlete Posts: 7 Member
edited April 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I need help. I have a Monster Drink habit. 2 first thing in the morning and another around 10 am. Yep that's 3 a day. Just can't seam to give the dang things up. I drink the ones in the white cans. They are calorie free and sugar free, so 100% chemicals. Water isn't even listed on the can! Beside being totally bad for me they are running me about $6 a day. Anyone have any suggestions or tips to quit this habit. I swear it's worse than when I gave up smoking cigarettes 15 years a go!

Replies

• kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Water is 100% chemicals.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    If you want to stop, stop. If not, don't.

I can't see it being any more difficult than that.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    The only thing in the monster drinks that is habit forming is caffeine. Do you want to quit caffeine or switch to an alternative delivery mechanism like coffee or tea? If you want to quit, google quitting caffeine and you can find all kinds of tips for quitting. If you just want to switch to coffee or tea, just do it. What's hard about it?
  • deathninja82
    deathninja82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Try coffee; I like it as it sharpens me up on the way to the lab without overdoing it, plus it's a lot cheaper to boot.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i drink the same ones. but only about 1 a week. usually saturdays! lol

maybe just swap it out for a flavored water bottle? they have carbonated ones if you still want that. still artificial but better than 3 monsters a day
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I am considering a membership at a Big Box Store like Sam's Club to make my Monster habit more affordable. $32 per case of 24, instead of 2 for $4 at the gas station.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I buy a case of Ultra Zero Monster about every two weeks. Have one every afternoon. One cup of coffee each morning. I'm gonna die from something anyway. These particular "chemicals" make me happy and the sweetness of the drink in the afternoon keeps me from snacking on candy.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I am considering a membership at a Big Box Store like Sam's Club to make my Monster habit more affordable. $32 per case of 24, instead of 2 for $4 at the gas station.

I buy mine at Cash N Carry if you have any of those. No membership needed.
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Try switching to coffee or tea because I think the only thing you may be addicted to with Monster is the caffeine.
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    There is a "low cal" version of Monster (blue can) that might be an slight improvement. Be warned it does taste a little different. I've been down the Monster road myself and have for the most part weened myself off by drinking one a small amount when I wanted some, then switching to coffee for the caffeine.
  • Gel_W91
    Gel_W91 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    cold turkey. i kick it every 6 months or so, then have one and i'm hooked again. currently getting over it again at the moment, 3 weeks or so. feel good. drink coffee instead. but cold turkey and stay strong
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    91octain wrote: »
    I need help. I have a Monster Drink habit. 2 first thing in the morning and another around 10 am. Yep that's 3 a day. Just can't seam to give the dang things up. I drink the ones in the white cans. They are calorie free and sugar free, so 100% chemicals. Water isn't even listed on the can! Beside being totally bad for me they are running me about $6 a day. Anyone have any suggestions or tips to quit this habit. I swear it's worse than when I gave up smoking cigarettes 15 years a go!
    To stop drinking soda I started drinking sparkling water. I get that carbonation kick but none of the calories, acids, dyes, sugars, etc. maybe give that a shot?
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    91octain wrote: »
    To stop drinking soda I started drinking sparkling water. I get that carbonation kick but none of the calories, acids, dyes, sugars, etc. maybe give that a shot?

This is what I did, though I still get my caffeine from other sources.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    My brother was rushed to the emergency room a few years ago of a suspected heart attack at the age of 25. He had high levels of troponin which is the protein high during a heart attack. He had many strange and odd fluctuations in his heart activity. What was it caused by? Yep, you guessed it....monster energy drinks. Scary stuff.

I had an addiction to Pepsi. I broke it by just quitting but the first 5 or 6 days sucked. The headaches were horrid, I was dizzy, so incredibly sleepy and moody. Caffeine withdrawal sucks.
  • DC_TheDrivah1
    DC_TheDrivah1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Optimum nutrition amino energy
  • girlofsun26
    girlofsun26 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My husband was super addicted to them as well! But when he started peeing blood clots that was enough to make him stop. He's now drinking coffee.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Up to 3 cups of coffee per day has been found to have a lot of health benefits. So just switch to coffee. You may have to use some sweeteners and creamers initially. But eventually just ween yourself down to black.