How long to exercise?

Options
hello... I atleast get 30mins of fast paced basic step video in a day. Should i be doing more to lose more?

Replies

• newport3158
    newport3158 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If your just starting I'd say this is Ok.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you do more you will burn more calories. It's really up to you whether you want to do that or not. 30 minutes of exercise per day is good though.
  • rtierney794
    rtierney794 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks.. Its intense amd i sweat like crazy so i guess im losing some calories.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Thirty minutes of cardio is excellent if you stay with it. How many months have you been maintaining this regime?
  • AzTriathlete
    AzTriathlete Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It takes about 20 mins of cardio for your body to get in to fat burning mode. 45 mins would be a starting point and work your way up to at least an hour at a time. You'll need to bring your hear rate up to Zone 2, which burns the most fat. Zone 2 is breathing through your mouth, only able to speak 3-4 word sentences at a time. You should stay in this zone the entire time your doing the cardio
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Do more when you feel like your current workout is not as challenging as it could be. And "more" can be any number of things -- longer time, or more intense, faster, more difficult modifications, giving more energy (like really pick up the knees, really swing the arms, etc). And probably don't increase in multiple ways simultaneously, by too much.

Think of progressing little by little. So as this becomes easier, work harder. If what you've been doing gets easier with all you can give it, look for something more challenging, or add something new to your routine. But it could take weeks to need to step it up much, especially if you're beginning.
  • rtierney794
    Options
    I have been working out for about a month. I have not been working out everyday. I am gwtting better at what im doing but I can possibly work harder.
  • rtierney794
    Options
    So... Exercise before dinner or after?
  • lilynnanne
    lilynnanne Posts: 1 Member
    Options

before
  • newport3158
    newport3158 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Depends on you as to when. And as to when it fits best into your daily schedule. I've only ever worked out in the morning, but I have a sister in law with grown kids that loves her sleep that has only ever worked out a night.
  • rtierney794
    Options
    Yeah I feel its better to work out after work. Thanks
  • rtierney794
    Options
    Why should i exercise before i eat?
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Some people feel sick if they workout after a meal. Some people feel sick if they workout on an empty stomach. So you may have to try different times and see how you do.

Me, if I have to do it before dinner, I'll have a small snack, like a little greek yoghurt. Then I don't get sick. If I do it after, it's best if it's an hour or two after, but that doesn't always happen, and so sometimes I do get a bit of nausea. It might depend on what I'm doing, what I ate, etc.
  • rtierney794
    Options
    That makes since. Thanks.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Some people feel sick if they workout after a meal. Some people feel sick if they workout on an empty stomach. So you may have to try different times and see how you do.

Me, if I have to do it before dinner, I'll have a small snack, like a little greek yoghurt. Then I don't get sick. If I do it after, it's best if it's an hour or two after, but that doesn't always happen, and so sometimes I do get a bit of nausea. It might depend on what I'm doing, what I ate, etc.
    Some of this can depend on the intensity of what you're doing, too. For example, you may find that an easy jog feels fine right after a meal but sprinting doesn't. :smile:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    hello... I atleast get 30mins of fast paced basic step video in a day. Should i be doing more to lose more?

Yes, do that for a few weeks ... and then you might want to start thinking about adding more. For example, can you go for a 20-30 min walk at lunch? Nothing too strenuous at first, just a stroll to get moving and get some fresh air.

• rtierney794
    Options
    Yes.. I work a split shift. I can walk snd workout anytime.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

Some of this can depend on the intensity of what you're doing, too. For example, you may find that an easy jog feels fine right after a meal but sprinting doesn't. :smile:

I agree. A "fast-paced step video" might not be doable right after a meal--but YMMV. But OP should realize that exercise is for fitness first and weight loss second. You will lose more if you do more (and keep it up in the kitchen), but adding more time/difficulty to your workouts is a separate goal.

30 minutes a day is great! You may want to incorporate strength training to preserve your LBM. I would do a few minutes of bodyweight exercises too.
  • charlesfriday1
    charlesfriday1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    There are a million different opinions. In my opinion, once you reach a basic level of fitness, much much much less as far as time goes but much much much harder than what you are used to is the way to go. If you don't feel as though you are about to die when you finish, you didn't go hard enough.

The human body is funny in how it can adapt. If you don't constantly push yourself and/or vary things up, your body will adapt and you won't actually accomplish much at all. I learned this in the army when there would be guys who were overweight and out of shape who would do very well on the PT test. I kid you not, I have seen fat guys run two miles in 13:00 minutes and fire up a cigarette thirty seconds after finishing. Were they in shape? No. Were their bodies adapted to doing a specific task very well? Yes.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    Yes.. I work a split shift. I can walk snd workout anytime.

Well ... keep doing what you're doing. And then gradually add stuff. Try different things to see what you like ... walking, running, spinning classes, cycling, rowing, dance classes, whatever appeals to you. :)