calories

Options
I am having a problem eating enough calories. Any suggestions? I am eating healthier so my calorie intake is between 600 and 700 most days.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Fat is not your enemy. Ditch "low fat" dairy and eat the full fat version. Eat nuts, oils, avocado, less lean cuts of meat.

One of the biggest mistakes we make when we start calorie counting is choosing the absolute lowest calorie options, which is completely unnecesary and also can be counterintuative. Your body needs fat, adequate protein etc. 600-700 a day is NOT enouigh and can be just as bad for you as a high calorie diet.
  • lonnie1954
    lonnie1954 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I eat a well balanced meal. Fish ,chicken ,pork ,broccoli ,cauliflower and fruits. I always go over on protein.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    My advice stands.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    +1 on the fat thing.

Also, if you ate enough to get overweight, you can eat enough to meet your calorie goal now.
  • lonnie1954
    Options
    ok I will try. Thank you
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nut butters, avocados, eggs, nuts. Eat what you always have, only in moderation.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    maybe consider making your diary public so that we can see what and how much youre eating and we can make constructive comments from there :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    assuming you are trying to lose weight and not gain weight....

no one ever got fat eating 700 calories a day....

sounds like youve gone overboard and need to re-evaluate things.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    assuming you are trying to lose weight and not gain weight....

no one ever got fat eating 700 calories a day....

sounds like youve gone overboard and need to re-evaluate things.

quite a bunch of this. ^

start adding more calorie dense foods. feel like pizza? have pizza...just stay within your allotted calories.

700cals is WAY under where you need to be. put some cheese on that broccoli! toss that chicken in a cream sauce!

• lonnie1954
    Options
    Yes, I need to lose at least 50 more pounds. Fell off the wagon once this week. Picked myself right back up. I feel I am making better and healthier choices.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i can (and do) eat 700 calories a MEAL (not all 3 in a day lol) and still lose......

700 a day and you are NOT doing your body any favors ....

but hey- do as you will......
  • Spyer116
    Spyer116 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Potatoes. Pasta. Rice. They are calorie heavy compared to vegetables. Add them.
    Treat yourself to 100-200 calories of something sweet everyday, or at least a few times a week. YOu don't need to deprive yourself of the nice things in life to lose weight. Its still just about calories in - calories out. Once the sweet things or junk food only make up a very small portion of your calories, then a little bit here and there isn't bad.

And as someone said already. You ate enough before to get overweight. So 600 or 700 calories / day isn't because of your appetite or not being able to eat enough. Its solely you going into an unhealthy/stupid form of diet that'll make you gain weight after a period of time. You're giving yourself tiny/minuscule portions of low calorie foods as well probably.
    1. Will drastically slow metabolism, making fat loss difficult if not near impossible
    2. You'll be starving. Unhappy. Tired.
    3. You'll fail. Definitely. No question about it when at so few calories / day. Question is how long you'll last.
    4. When you fail. You'll binge. Not just eat 'a little more'. And because of that slowed metabolism, you'll pile on whatever little weight you lost, along with extra.

It may sound harsh, i'm sure some people will point out that some of the things I said might be wrong, or not might not hold up in this situation. But the majority of it should be solid advice, that if you're serious about making a life change for weight loss, you'd take head in some of the things said
  • Spyer116
    Spyer116 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    *heed
  • lonnie1954
    Options
    That is why I am asking for advice. I just want and need this weight off.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    lonnie1954 wrote: »
    I eat a well balanced meal. Fish ,chicken ,pork ,broccoli ,cauliflower and fruits. I always go over on protein.

Put it this way - even if you put the best, most expensive oil in your car, it's still going to break down if you don't put *enough* in it.

Lowest calorie possible does not necessarily = "healthy". Calories, fats, carbs are NOT your enemy.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    You didnt become overweight on 700 calories...so you can eat more.
    Just swap some skinny products if you use them for full versions ...like 2% milk for full milk for example
    Eat an advocado or and some almonds etc.

there is a huge difference between overeating and eating wisely at least 1200 calories.

700 calories will make you burn down at one point. And that would be a shame of all the hard work isnt it?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    lonnie1954 wrote: »
    That is why I am asking for advice. I just want and need this weight off.

Okay, but don't you want to keep it off by learning something sustainable? Don't you want to maintain as much muscle mass as possible? You can't walk 5 miles into the woods and expect to get out in one.
  • lonnie1954
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will go shopping tomorrow and buy all your suggestions and add to my menu.