Starving why is this not working?

Options
Ok people so I know this has probably been asked a million times however I can't find any answers! I have been eating 1200 calories per day following the water guidelines and getting fruits and what nots in however I haven't noticed any changes with this here's what it came down to If I eat the 1200 calories and don't work out I see no results and am always hungry If I eat ONLY my 1200 calories and work out I see a loss but am even hungrier because of course I'm working out however I cannot touch my extra calories or I lose nothing?? What the heck and I doing wrong? I am going on vacation to a resort with my inlaws in july and my mother in law recently lost 100 or more pounds she looks like a person you see on the boflex commercials and can pull off a bikini like nobody's business!!! I can't be seen in one next to her :( HELP ME!

Replies

• VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    As a suggestion, make your food diary public so people can see your eating and maybe give some suggestions.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Ok people so I know this has probably been asked a million times however I can't find any answers! I have been eating 1200 calories per day following the water guidelines and getting fruits and what nots in however I haven't noticed any changes with this here's what it came down to If I eat the 1200 calories and don't work out I see no results and am always hungry If I eat ONLY my 1200 calories and work out I see a loss but am even hungrier because of course I'm working out however I cannot touch my extra calories or I lose nothing?? What the heck and I doing wrong? I am going on vacation to a resort with my inlaws in july and my mother in law recently lost 100 or more pounds she looks like a person you see on the boflex commercials and can pull off a bikini like nobody's business!!! I can't be seen in one next to her :( HELP ME!

If you're working out, you NEED to eat your exercise calories. Of course you're hungry, you're eating 1200 calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options

If you're working out, you NEED to eat your exercise calories. Of course you're hungry, you're eating 1200 calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Yup! What she said!!! There is nothing wrong with eating your exercise calories back. This isnt a race, and it will help you lose quicker and feel better along the way!
  • Daysea13
    Daysea13 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You may not be eating enough, especially on days when you're exercising. I agree with the others, you should make your diary public and people can give you other suggestions.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    If you are only eating 1200 calories and not eating your exercise calories you aren't eating enough. When you start netting less than 1200 calories your metabolism slows down and your body holds on to everything you eat because in essence you are starving yourself. They add back exercise calories for a reason. Eat them. The hotter the fire the more wood you have to put on it. Start eating more and I guarantee you will start losing. When I first started this I was restricting myself to 1200 calories and not eating my exercise calories. My weight loss stopped! Once I started eating 1400 calories a day and eating my exercise calories I started losing again. I have lost 40 pounds in 5 months. Don't give up...just start eating more.
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Unsure on what you are eating but I can tell you just from my personal experience being a once a day eater, I ate more, actually changed goal from 2lb loss a week down to 1,...all through the day...and started loosing when when I did. Sounds crazy, I thought....but NOPE!!! Spread out calories through the day, make good choices, drink lots of water, just give it a couple weeks. I figured it was worth a shot...my way wasnt working. Good luck!!! :)
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sherrismith82
    sherrismith82 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Well, Sweetie, it takes calories to burn calories. The more calories you intake, the more energy you have to burn. Have you ever noticed the days you intake more than 1200 calories you have more energy? Take my advice, I'm not using it! LMBO! But in all seriousness, to workout, we need more calories and the more you burn during workouts, the more you can eat! good luck, darlin!!!
    :flowerforyou: :smile:
  • KMcBandit
    KMcBandit Posts: 65
    Options
    Yes that's what I'm saying I tried eating 70% of my calories from working out and don't lose but if i work out and only eat the required then i lose it's so irritating I will eat them for a week and see what happens.
  • sherrismith82
    sherrismith82 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Yes that's what I'm saying I tried eating 70% of my calories from working out and don't lose but if i work out and only eat the required then i lose it's so irritating I will eat them for a week and see what happens.

What I usually do is drink two slim-fast shakes per day, eat 3 snacks and have a decent meal every evening and I've lost 19 # so far but everyone is different. If I go 1 calorie over 1200 calories, I gain weight :( but when I workout, I try to make up for lost calories so that I don't put my body in starvation mode. Just try different things to see what works best for you :) I have faith in you :D
  • KMcBandit
    Options
    Thank you Sherri, I drink a protein shake for breakfast which really helps #1 with my sweet tooth #2 keeps me from feeling tired after my workout. I am going to try eating half my activity calories this week and see what happens :D Your all wonderful thanks for the help. Funny part is I have a great friend who's a personal trainer who told me you shouldn't eat more then half because it's defeating the purpose lol
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should eat a little bit more. 1200 is like a safety minimum. But maybe your body just needs more calories to function. Maybe it's trying to hold onto to every calorie b/c it doesn't feel like it's getting enough generally. You can't force your body to lose weight faster than it wants to. At least, that's how it is with my body.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Either you're underestimating how much you eat & drink; or you're overestimating the calories burned from exercise. Too much sodium, not enough sleep or water can also hinder weight loss. Are all of your settings accurate, especially the lifestyle setting? Do not include dedicated exercise in this setting; log that using the Exercise tab and eat back at least half of those calories (MFP adds it to your daily goal automatically.)

Are you using a digital food scale to weigh everything you eat? Most people drastically underestimate portion size. Are you logging everything you put in your mouth including all beverages and things you cook with (butter, oil, etc.)? Are you reviewing the nutritional information found in MFP's database to make sure it's accurate? I've found tons of inaccurate entries because other MFP members added them to the database.
  • KMcBandit
    Options
    Bizco,
    I do have a scale I weigh and measure everything! I don't sleep well but I DO drink plenty of water. I also wear a heart monitor when I work out the kind with the chest strap and when I log my excercise i round down by 50 just to make sure. I'm doing everything right :( I did however eat half my exercise calories back last night for the first time in weeks so I will watch the scale this sunday and see if it worked.
  • daniraebug
    daniraebug Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You are starving so your body is telling you something!! Try to set your Minimum calories to 1400. I know I did that and it helped. Plus how much protein are you getting. Sometimes that can be it too, if you are working out and not getting enough protein. Sleep is a biggie too! How many hours of sleep do you think you are getting?