Kickboxing

Options
2»

Replies

• b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Love it and still do it on occasion. It also gave me the bug for actual boxing, so I took lessons and let loose. Very therapeutic - and burns the cals like crazy!

I have always wanted to do kickboxing because I have little to no upper body strength but can kick like a mule when I am pissed lol. But, boxing is on my list as well, just lower down on my list.
    I get such a high after a really good class! I haven't gone for a few weeks, thanks to someone t-boning me while backing out of their driveway and my car in the shop while the insurance companies fight over what gets fixed.
  • jabx1962
    jabx1962 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do a Boxing or Kickboxing workout 6 days a week. The workouts are an hour long. It consists of 15 minutes warm up/calisthenics, 8-3 minute rounds with 1 minute active rest between rounds, and the last 15 minutes are Core/Floor work with a Medicine Ball. The workout will definitely help you lose weight.
    The classes are not for Self Defense. That's what Glocks are for.
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    jabx1962 wrote: »
    The classes are not for Self Defense. That's what Glocks are for.

lol love it.
  • canoepug56
    canoepug56 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

[/quote] While many martial arts classes show defense techniques, many followers are ill prepared not only to employ them, but prove pretty ineffective because in almost all classes, students don't take full contact blows to the head or body. It's one thing to defend against an onslaught you KNOW is coming, and another when someone is coming at you in an "unchoreographed" manner. That's why in many tournaments where they allow full contact blows, students easily succumb to just ONE good shot even if they see it coming.
    Also to add that conditioning matters. Regardless of sport, martial arts, etc., if one can't catch their breath because they are unconditioned, skill goes out the door. Hard to hold correct stance, punch or kick effectively or even defend.
    [/quote]

This ;) ^^^^^
    Did Muay Thai for quite a few years.We had Dan grade 'other martial arts guys' come through the door.None of them had sparred hard and none of them ever made it through one of our sparring sessions.Anyhoo back to subject.I found working the pads to be the most exausting thing I've ever done especially when using knees at full force so yes kickboxing is great cardio.Hope you enjoy your classes.