this may sound bad but.....

Options
I'm using this as an example....

I just watched Black Swan & saw how skinny Natalie Portman was. Not that I want to get THAT skinny but it made me slightly motivated & I went & ran on my treadmill for 2.5 miles.

I put songs on my work out playlist of singers who are in shape & look great in their music videos/pictures/real life so when I workout, I'm thinking about how I don't look like that but if I keep working out, I'll hopefully start looking that way.

Does anyone else think this way?

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Maybe not exactly the same, but we all have our mental picture or motivation.

I am a writer. When I'm having a hard time running, I will pretend that I am one of my characters, who is a tall, willowy marathoner. I'll never be tall or willowy and a marathon is in the outside edges of my limits (well beyond my capabilities right now!), but it helps me finish that next lap. Or if I'm wanting to wimp out on a weight set, I pretend I'm a character who is the 2nd story type (and maintains it with a lot of toning exercises) or such ... I'm never going to be a cat burglar! but it helps me to finish the tough set.

My workout music is stuff with a good beat and uplifting feel ... the kind you want to crank the volume on. Instead, it pour on the workout! LOL
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't hate yourself for not looking like that or anything, there's nothing wrong with having a goal or motivation in mind.

If you're an athlete and admire a professional player, it's only healthy if you hate yourself and kill yourself working to be as good as that person.

If you're an artist, you can't hate yourself for not being Van Gogh, but you can aspire to be like him.

If they make you feel good about yourself and motivated, it's just fine.
  • RachelSweeney
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!!! Good luck in your journeys :)