Water shoes (shoes for walking on beach)

Options
Hi fellow MFP'ers!

I've been doing so well for a few months now, sticking with regular exercise longer than I have for years. And I really, really want to stick with it when vacation time comes this summer. I'll be spending a week on the beach on the Gulf Coast, and the best exercise there (aside from swimming, of course) is walking on the beach. (I don't see myself running, but walking briskly ... but who knows? Maybe I'll start running between now and then!)

Anyway, do any of you have any recommendations for good shoes to wear while walking on the beach? I don't want to go barefoot -- too many potential sharp shells, etc., would slow me down. And I want shoes that can get wet, will allow my feet to "breathe" and will dry quickly. I also need decent arch support.

See? I'm not picky. :tongue:

I'd appreciate any advice/recommendations anyone has! I figure I need to buy these soon before they are all sold out and they start putting Christmas stuff in the stores/online!! :laugh:

Thanks!

Replies

• MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Birkenstocks makes some nice rubber gardening-type clogs with really good arch support. Those might work. Or some type of crocs. I'm a barefoot beach walker myself, but I'll use the other two above in a pinch.
  • lisabel87
    lisabel87 Posts: 152
    Options
    Chacos! Z2 or Z1 They are an investment, about $90 but they are good for your arches. Sometimes the sand can rub between your skin and the straps, but usually not if you keep the straps tight. They are also extremely durable and are good for light hiking and white water rafting/swimming because they stay on your feet.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    Options
    Chacos! Z2 or Z1 They are an investment, about $90 but they are good for your arches. Sometimes the sand can rub between your skin and the straps, but usually not if you keep the straps tight. They are also extremely durable and are good for light hiking and white water rafting/swimming because they stay on your feet.

Oh, yeah, those are great, too. Or Tevas.
  • aekriebs
    aekriebs Posts: 45
    Options
    Tevas make some awesome water shoes. REI carries them, as well as Cabella's if you want to try before you buy online. Also, check out Farm & Fleet if you can . . . I remember that is where we got all of our water shoes as kids.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    Options
    Oh, and I forgot my Keens (Venice or H2?) make awesome athletic-y water-y shoes. I love to wear them when we do things like go tubing or picnic by the lake.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I love Crocs!! The are rubbery and feel really comfortable!
  • anner53108
    anner53108 Posts: 103
    Options
    Great! Thanks so much for the suggestions, everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • reallivefitness
    Options
    ****'s Sporting Goods carries Speedo water shoes for like $25. My mom and I got matching pairs and I wear mine all the time, just for walking around in.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    Options
    ****'s Sporting Goods carries Speedo water shoes for like $25. My mom and I got matching pairs and I wear mine all the time, just for walking around in.

Wow, I love how the censors marked out "****'s." What if my name was ****?
  • anner53108
    anner53108 Posts: 103
    Options
    Lol -- maybe we should just say "Richard's nickname's Sporting Goods" :laugh:
  • aekriebs
    aekriebs Posts: 45
    Options
    Lol -- maybe we should just say "Richard's nickname's Sporting Goods" :laugh:

Yes!!! :)