Anyone use the steamer bags?

Options
NeuroticVirgo
NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
I've used the actual steamer vegetable bags/meals before, but they are so expensive (yet so convenient for quick veggies).

So today I picked up the steamer baggies that you fill yourself then microwave. I though about cooking up some chicken in advance and then putting veggies and sliced up chicken in these bags (then freeze) for easy/quick lunches I can prep in advance and then grab and go.

I feel suspicious if these will work very good, anyone use them before?

1001029_025700956891_A_400.jpg

Replies

• linzoglesby
    linzoglesby Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    They work just like the kind you find in the frozen food section. Good idea!
  • KristynStephens15
    KristynStephens15 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I LOVE them! Never cooked meat in them like they say you can but i always do my veggies in them. Cuts down on dishes as well!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I've used them a few times - I think because someone gave me a box or something - and they worked great. I've also used regular old freezer bags too and I think they work just the same. I cook up chicken or turkey and some veggies and divide them up into the bags, throw them in the freezer and heat them up as needed.
  • rshunk
    rshunk Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have used those for veggies lots of times, love em! I never tried them with any meat though....
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    Ya I'd pre-cook the meat (so I'd just be reheating it). I figured it would work like a microwave meal. I tried steaming in a regular freezer bag once, and it didn't work very well for me. lol Good to know so many people had luck with them.
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much time you have, I bought an actual steamer for 30.00 at walmart. I cook all my vegetables in it, my chicken, I even steam potatoes in it! It takes 30 minutes to steam chicken and it is so yummy!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Great idea. I will have to try those!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    I wonder how potatoes would work in the bag :0/
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I use them all the time, but I don't put the meals in them in advance. I always use fresh veggies in them. I have never had anything not turn out well, after I tweeked the time a little for my microwave. I sometimes sprinkle a little seasoning on the veggies before I put them in, particularly potatoes.
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I love them! they work just like the already prepackaged veggie bags...
  • KristynStephens15
    KristynStephens15 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    potatoes are the main thing i use them for. cut up my potatoes sprinkle in a little garlic salt adn pepper and im good to go. Or you can mash them after you steam them.