Protein Shakes/Meal Replacement?! What do you think?

Options
2»

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I would never replace any of my precious calories. Never. I love food.

That about sums it up for me, too.

ETA: Except for beer sometimes. Or wine.
  • SpeedRacer13
    SpeedRacer13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I prefer regular food, although a protein shake now and then is ok. Some people think that by drinking a ton of Shakeology (spelling) shakes or protein shakes they will lose weight without working out. Yes, I know people like that...not any of you all though!
  • dstein46
    dstein46 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I drink Idealshape as a snack because I think they are delicious and they keep me super full! I love my food too, but as a snack I enjoy these because I feel very satisfied afterwards, I never replace an actual meal with them though.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I do a protein shake for breakfast on the weekdays--it's delicious, nutritious and I can drink it on my way to work. Very convenient. I also drink a shake when I weight-lift at the gym. Different formulas for different purposes.
  • SpeedRacer13
    Options
    I looked at the calories on one of my room mates shakes..500! That would be almost half my calories. I would have to work out might hard. I sure know that I'd want solid food at some point. I agree Psychgrrl....there are different formulas for different purposes. I don't want any artificial flavors though...I've seen some mixes with artificial ingredients.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I looked at the calories on one of my room mates shakes..500! That would be almost half my calories. I would have to work out might hard. I sure know that I'd want solid food at some point. I agree Psychgrrl....there are different formulas for different purposes. I don't want any artificial flavors though...I've seen some mixes with artificial ingredients.

Half your calories...for the day?
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    i know thats why i said both lol
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Two seperate things aren't they? Apples and oranges.

I meant asking about them together like you did made me think you might take a protein shake as a meal replacement.

I have seen others do that. They thought a protein shake was a meal replacement.

Is there a reason you can't have a protein shake as breakfast if you're going to have a snack 2 hours later?
  • SpeedRacer13
    Options
    Arditarose: 1200 calories per day...so 500 would be ALMOST half. Drinking doesn't fill me up, I like to chew my food.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I suppose it depends on your goals.
    For me, I don't find protein shakes or meal replacements necessary. My protein goal isn't hard for me to get with food. I prefer to eat food that I will eat for the rest of my life. Shakes as meals are not sustainable long term for me.
  • sarabeartx
    sarabeartx Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My goal of getting 100+ grams of protein per day can be difficult. So I often have a simple protein shake post-workout to make up for that if my calories allow.

I don't know if anyone else has ever felt this way, but sometimes the thought of food just isn't appealing. SO much effort and energy goes into thinking about food when you're trying to lose weight (as it should!) that I sometimes just want a break! I will throw some spinach, kale, celery, an apple, frozen banana, chia seeds and coconut oil into my Vitamix and call it dinner. So I understand the idea of having a shake as a meal replacement every now and then but for sustainability, I wouldn't make it a super regular thing.

My two cents :smile: Hope you get some more good insight on your question!
  • aaliceinw
    aaliceinw Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I use meal replacements for lunch because I wasn't getting enough calories. I am now beginning to replace them with real food.

They were inlcuded as part of my meal plan by my dietician so that I could relearn how to eat/have 3 meals a day. They helped me to get enough calories and proteins on the days when I forgot to eat or when I couldn't eat something solid in the morning. I never had more than one per day though, because I also supplemented with protein bars.

Hopefully in a month, I'll be off the meal replacements completely.
  • SpeedRacer13
    Options
    Sarabeartx...love your two cents. I agree!
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    i love my protein shake! I have it in the mornings and mix it with ice and 1 cup of milk and a tbsp of olive oil (to hit my fat macro). zip it in the blender. Tastes just like a chocolate milkshake!!! For me, it's a win-win and I think this will be a long-term solution for me in getting to my protein macro.
  • phoenixx866
    phoenixx866 Posts: 173 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Personally, I don't like meal replacements. I recently purchased GNC Total Lean 25 and got a nifty blender bottle. I drink the shake and I'm hungry again within 2 hours. Also after I drink it my stomach is on the verge of growling but never actually does (if that makes sense). Guess I just need actual food lol

I'll sometimes make a protein shake in the morning, like I have vanilla powder and I mix it with skim milk/almond milk and a little pinch of cinnamon. Yum.
  • lautour
    lautour Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I like occasional meal replacements for intermittent fasting but I never feel like making protein shakes. I use protein powder in other things sometimes. Blending a shake is extra ingredients to set out and dishes to wash. It's a shame because I have a blender bottle and everything.

I find meal replacements like the high protein Slim fast filling for a few hours so it's good to grab and go. When I joined MFP I was doing two of those a day and a low carb dinner. But now I only use during "down" days when I'm busy.