Lifestyle Not Diet

Options
Diets Never Work I'm 339 Pounds and my goal is to loose 50 pounds by next January how do I do that I've started exercising and I've cut down on the food I eat and I haven't drunk soda for probably more than 2 years.

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Eat less than you move.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit equals weight loss.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    eat less move more
  • tizzylish1975
    tizzylish1975 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I started at 250 on Feb 2nd and have lost 21 in 10 weeks with counting calories and increasing my exercise (treadmill and walking outside). Anything is better than nothing, just stick with it, you can do this! Good luck!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I don't diet either, but I do limit my calorie intake. Pretty much everything is fair game if you can work it into your calories. So, since you're on a website about calorie counting, have you started a profile and gotten a calorie goal?
  • sidney7305
    sidney7305 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Count how many calories you ate and how many you burned in exercise on one day to see if you are at a deficit. You may be eating much more than you realize.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Your subject line pretty much has the answer: You don't diet, you change your lifestyle. You make eating at a deficit the norm, and you incorporate exercise into your normal routine. The rest will follow.
  • michellerose2015
    michellerose2015 Posts: 6 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Take one step at a time. It's a good thing that you aren't drinking soda, that was one of the hardest things for me to give up personally. Start small, like no seconds, don't eat after 6 pm. Eat less. Then start to try to contribute exercise in your routine. Slowly build yourself up to it, if you dont then you will gain it back every time.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Your subject line pretty much has the answer: You don't diet, you change your lifestyle. You make eating at a deficit the norm, and you incorporate exercise into your normal routine. The rest will follow.

Exactly. Try it; you'll like it.
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Do yourself a huge favor and get a food scale, then weigh everything you put in your mouth. Being accurate on quantities is a must if you want to do this. And I second the no second helpings. This really helped me. Good luck, you have a lot of people on your side!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I agree with the "lifestyle change, not diet" thing, because it is just words. Who really cares if you call it a lifestyle change or you call it a diet. Whatever you call it, you are going to have to reduce the amount of food you are eating and you're going to have to continue that until you reach your goal weight, at which point you're going to increase your calorie intake, but not to the pre-lifestyle change level.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I call it my eat less move more so I am not a fat *kitten* lifestyle turbo diet, but sometimes when I am in a hurry I just call it my diet since i am not trying to sell it to anybody.
  • segacs wrote: »