Thoughts on Polar ft4?

Options
Hey everyone! Considering the polar ft4 to measure zumba and running both inside and outside. I really want accurate data regarding calories burned, I'm just looking for these features. Does anyone have this or recommend something different? Thanks!

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    HRMs aren't going to give accurate calorie burns for anything interval-y like zumba. It's not what they're designed for, and not what they should be used for.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I have the polar FT4 and I love it. I use it for all my workouts.. but.. I don't eat back exercise calories, so for me personally it doesn't really matter how accurate it is.
    I do FitnessBlender workouts and they always give a calorie range of what you should expect to burn, and I am ALWAYS in that range according to my FT4, so that's good enough for me. She also wears an HRM sometimes during the workouts.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7 and love it. Easy to use and certainly more accurate than guesstimating or basing it on the calories my treadmill says I've burned.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    leecha2014 wrote: »
    Hey everyone! Considering the polar ft4 to measure zumba and running both inside and outside. I really want accurate data regarding calories burned, I'm just looking for these features. Does anyone have this or recommend something different? Thanks!

Running steady pace will be fine

Zumba not so much but you could judge how that goes by your weight loss over time

Perhaps by starting at 75% of calorie burn given
  • MiChaChelle
    MiChaChelle Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i think it's great. i used it for the past couple of years and always eat back the full calories and been losing steadily
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Polar ft4 won't be accurate for calories burned because it assumes your fitness level, it also won't be accurate for Zumba because it's not steady state.

I own one and love it dearly for heart rate zones. It's very accurate for that. It helps me make sure that my high intensity interval training are indeed high intensity, than I have cooled down sufficiently before hopping off the treadmill because I'm very prone to dizziness if I suddenly stop with a heart rate higher than 100, that I'm not pushing myself too much on rest days.. etc.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I have a FT4 and as others have mentioned, it's not great for any sort of interval training or other activity where your heart rate is not steady. I use it during my cross-training workouts even though I know the numbers are inflated more so to compare one workout to another; sort of a measure of how much effort I put in from one day to the next.
  • rianoel
    rianoel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just got one and I use it to make sure I'm actually getting my heart rate up. I shaved 3 minutes of each mile I walk---from 18 minutes to 15. It's doing what I bought it for---challenging me to work out harder during my walks.

I don't use the calorie feature, though. I plug the heart rate number into calorie counters at shapesence to get a net burn. It's not a sophisticated enough decice to tailor your workout specifically enough to you to give a close calorie burn. (No V02max). Also, I still use Mapmywalk to make sure I'm getting in at least 5 miles.

I don't think I'd use it for Zumba.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I love my Ft4 for my steady state cardio. I use it for my walks although my heart rate doesn't stay high enough now - which I wouldn't have known without my ft4 lol. I use it on my hikes and I am just starting to run. I love having it to know I'm moving enough or kick my butt in gear if I'm slacking. I am also happy that I can see proof my fitness is improving. You can look at past data.

I liked the price and am glad I didn't bother with a higher priced one that tracks me all day. I already know from my phone apps that I'm moving more - 10k steps daily, etc. All I needed was a HRM and it's easy to use.
  • leecha2014
    leecha2014 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone. This really helps. When I run, I do intervals and stop for one min after ten so I guess I will have to record the calorie burn before each interval. I really wish there was a way to measure my zumba class, bummer. I really give it 100% and get a really good workout and I'm so curious what I'm accomplishing. The calories on MFP for ZUMBA seem way to high. Thanks again
  • SFDonovan
    SFDonovan Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I don't like the chest strap. It's a hassle. There are literally no bells and whistles with the FT4 as it has no sync capability. I think the Mio Link or Scosche Rhythm+ is a better buy.
  • cokefloat1
    cokefloat1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I like my FT4. It's a good way to chart cardio improvement over time. The calorie count doesn't seem too bad in my opinion. I use it in conjuction with a calculator (link below) as my thoughts were that it would include what I would have burned anyway plus the exercise.

I fell off my bike though and scratched the screen and you can't get a replacement so take care of it!

The chest strap as said above is a bit of a pain though but I don't think you get as good accuracy from wrist only.
  • Hollisamara
    Hollisamara Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I don't see why it wouldn't be good for Zumba? Zumba is very cardio based isn't it? I've got the polar ft4 and I love it. I use it for all exercises I do :)
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    I have the ft4 and the Fitbit Charge HR. Both record heart rate. I prefer the Fitbit Charge HR. It has no chest strap and just goes around your wrist. Counts steps, calories burned, steps and monitors sleep. I love my Fitbit. Designed for wearing all day.
  • Combat_Fighter
    Combat_Fighter Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7 model... and could NEVER work out without it! Love it, and far more accurate than the numbers anything else ever gives me :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    jellytot3 wrote: »
    I don't see why it wouldn't be good for Zumba? Zumba is very cardio based isn't it? I've got the polar ft4 and I love it. I use it for all exercises I do :)

Calorie calculations are based on steady state cardio (cardio done at the same intensity for at least 10 minutes). Zumba has variable intensities so the calculations won't work for calories. Look at yourself when you finish exercising for example. Your are not putting in any effort but your heart rate is still high. Heart rate changes are not instantaneous and do not always represent the amount of effort, that's why the same calorie estimation algorithm can't be used successfully, and will always result in inflated results for things of varying intensity.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    jellytot3 wrote: »
    I don't see why it wouldn't be good for Zumba?

Because the algorithms used by low end consumer grade devices to extrapolate a calorie estimation are based on steady state CV work using cycle ergometers. Zumba doesn't replicate that.

HR is only a meaningful indicator of calorie expenditure in a fairly limited set of circumstances.