Heartburn from too much water?

Options
KLo924
KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
I've been drinking WAY more water than I had the last couple weeks (I started MFP three weeks ago, got into drinking lots of water a bit after that). More and more when I chug some water throughout the day I get wicked heartburn. Anyone have ideas about whether these things are related, or had the same issue?

I do eat a fair amount of spicy foods, but I always have, and I've cut back on drinking since starting this so I feel like it's probably not those things.

Suggestions? Commiseration? :)

Replies

• briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have super bad acid reflux/heartburn, and I can tell you that drinking more water is definitely not the cause of your heartburn. Actually water is a natural anti-acid because it flushes your stomach of all the acid. What you might be experiencing is kinda like "brain freeze" but in your esophagus. So you might try drinking not as cold water or drinking it slower.
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I've had heartburn and drinking water just made it worse... it wouldn't go away until I had a soda (weird). I've never gotten heartburn from water specifically... I'm sure it was always something else that caused it.
  • sd101483
    sd101483 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Funny you should mention that - I've been having the same thing lately and it's driving me nuts. I keep going back to the water, but thinking that it's just not logical - but nothing else has changed in my diet recently. Interesting to see the feedback!
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I agree with briabner. I've had terrible heartburn and acid reflux for years and the water helps a bunch. I don't have heartburn nearly as much since I chug the water:)
  • philip31
    philip31 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I used to get heartburn however regular eating and drinking plenty of water has cured it. :)
  • katdanash
    katdanash Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    water did this to me for years. Then they found that i have a hiatal hernia (sp) the water was bringin stomach acids back into the esphogus. I now take two prevacid a day for it. I can drink all that I want . I also had to raise the head of my bed up by 4 inches.
    Good luck to you :)
  • drasr
    drasr Posts: 181
    Options
    Somestimes SCIENCE can't explain everything i guess because logically water which has a neutral ph[=7] should ease the acidity. And soda which is basically carbonic acid should aggravate it but here we have everything to the contrary.

P.S. - Please drink water. It is good for acidity. And avoid soda.
  • sceck
    sceck Posts: 219
    Options
    Drink smaller amounts through the day, as opposed to downing a whole glass...that's helped me.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Wow - thanks all!

@sceck - I think that's what I'll start doing. It's just so much easier to get all the water in by slamming a glass here or there! :)
    @kat - That's been in the back of my mind (I have family with hiatal hernias). If it doesn't get better I'll probably check in w/my dr.
  • PirateJenny
    PirateJenny Posts: 233
    Options
    A little late to the game but I occasionally get sharp pains in my upper chest (heartburn region) if I "chug" water, especially after a workout. Mine go away pretty quickly but can be scary until they do because they are so severe and in a "bad" location to feel that kind of pain.

It could be related to over-stimulus of the phrenic nerve, which is in the neck and connects to the diaphragm (it causes hiccups). The water is forced too quickly and the nerve gets irritated, which causes the pain. At least that's my theory. It could be total crap.

I would definitely check with a physician if you are concerned or have other symptoms.

Hmmm, upon reflection my post was totally useless except for the comparison / commiseration!