STARVING - so when will it stop?

Options
I started following my calories about a week ago. I lost 6 and did not notice any real difficulty other than no eating out. This week I have felt like my stomach is eating itself. I am meeting or exceeding my carbs protein and fat;so why do I feel like I am starving? Is it my body thinking it is starving because it is not getting what it used to get daily? Will this stop soon? If it is happening to you did you find a way to make it stop?

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    lenica wrote: »
    I started following my calories about a week ago. I lost 6 and did not notice any real difficulty other than no eating out. This week I have felt like my stomach is eating itself. I am meeting or exceeding my carbs protein and fat;so why do I feel like I am starving? Is it my body thinking it is starving because it is not getting what it used to get daily? Will this stop soon? If it is happening to you did you find a way to make it stop?

You will eventually hit on foods that satiate you. It can take some time.

I drink hot tea after dinner a lot of times and fill full. Protein shakes in the morning drive to work help. You will get it.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    You may not be weighing your food and inadvertantly eating too little or you may have set your calorie goal too low.
    Or, you may need to eat back some exercise calories.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be feeling overly hungry.
    Do you eat a good amount of proteins and fats?
  • nancyjay__
    nancyjay__ Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by following your cals ? Do you mean tracking? And what are your calories a day that you're aiming for? How much did you eat before you started tracking. How much did you cut? And your macros depend on how many cals you have to spread around so a little more information would help.

You could be completely under eating even if you think you're going over your macros. Or your tracking could be off or you might be on track and you just need time to adjust and the answer to that depends on what foods your eating and how satiating they are.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Eventually, you'll lose enough that you don't need as much food. And yes, there is some degree of getting used to what it feels like to eat less. I find that exercise helps me restrain my appetite, but that doesn't work for everyone.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

I exercise almost daily so that I can eat more.
  • lenica
    lenica Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You may not be weighing your food and inadvertantly eating too little or you may have set your calorie goal too low.

I am not weighing my food. I am going to get a scale tomorrow.
  • lenica
    Options
    nancyjay__ wrote: »
    What do you mean by following your cals ? Do you mean tracking? And what are your calories a day that you're aiming for? How much did you eat before you started tracking. How much did you cut? And your macros depend on how many cals you have to spread around so a little more information would help.

You could be completely under eating even if you think you're going over your macros. Or your tracking could be off or you might be on track and you just need time to adjust and the answer to that depends on what foods your eating and how satiating they are.

Thanks Nancy,

I am a complete newby so I do not know terms yet. Also, I think I learned to open my diary so it can be seen...I think. I just entered my weight and that I would like to lose 2 lbs. I am open to constructive education. As to what my calories are prior I do not even know because I did not track faithfully before last week and I ate out a lot.
  • lenica
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

I am not weighing my food. I am going to get a scale tomorrow.

How many calories were you assuming you were eating?

If I ate chicken breast I would just pick large to make sure that I guessed worse case scenario. But most things are packaged so I scanned the bar codes.
  • nancyjay__
    edited April 2015
    Options

Thanks Nancy,

I am a complete newby so I do not know terms yet. Also, I think I learned to open my diary so it can be seen...I think. I just entered my weight and that I would like to lose 2 lbs. I am open to constructive education. As to what my calories are prior I do not even know because I did not track faithfully before last week and I ate out a lot.

When I started to track I was completely lost lol. The only thing that helped me was time. Time taught me that instead of having dressing with my salad I could have an extra 2oz of chicken breast.

You might be hungry because of the things you choose to eat. Example you had 520 cals meal in two taquitos you had a couple days ago. For me that meal would be 4oz of chicken breast cup of steamed rice and a cup of steamed broccoli. All at about 430 cals.

Believe me there are times I prefer to eat 3 oreos instead of the meal and am I starving after....yep. Its all about choices. Best practice is know how you can maximize the calories. I also input something into MFP before I eat it and most of the time I end up changing my mind and not eating it at all. :/
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I used to think I was starving but I was just bored or mildly hungry. If you're hungry, you should eat. If I think I'm starving, but I won't eat a salad, I'm not starving, I just want something to eat!
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    You might want to adjust your weight loss goal to 1 lb per week instead of 2 lbs. That's an aggressive goal and likely is adding to your hunger. Changing your goal will give you more calories each day and might make a difference in how you're feeling.

I'm glad to hear you'll be getting a scale. It's the best way to know exactly what you're eating. No guessing involved and far more accurate than relying on MFP entries that are "close enough."

You do a nice job with fruit and veggies in your diet but there are a lot of entries for pre-packaged or take-out entrees. If you can make recipes that have simple, healthy ingredients, you can get more quantity and quality in your diet. Which will go a long way toward keeping you feeling full :smile: I like to make soup, stew, wraps, loaded salads with meat, cheese, nuts and veggies, etc. When I opt for prepared foods, I usually go for fish and veggie burgers.
  • lenica
    Options
    amy8400 wrote: »
    You might want to adjust your weight loss goal to 1 lb per week instead of 2 lbs. That's an aggressive goal and likely is adding to your hunger. Changing your goal will give you more calories each day and might make a difference in how you're feeling.

I'm glad to hear you'll be getting a scale. It's the best way to know exactly what you're eating. No guessing involved and far more accurate than relying on MFP entries that are "close enough."

You do a nice job with fruit and veggies in your diet but there are a lot of entries for pre-packaged or take-out entrees. If you can make recipes that have simple, healthy ingredients, you can get more quantity and quality in your diet. Which will go a long way toward keeping you feeling full :smile: I like to make soup, stew, wraps, loaded salads with meat, cheese, nuts and veggies, etc. When I opt for prepared foods, I usually go for fish and veggie burgers.

Thank you. I will adjust back and see if it helps with that feeling.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I find that if you ride out a wave of hunger it typically goes away after 15-30 mins. So I always do that if it's not time for a meal.

Just realise that being hungry isn't an emergency. Nothing bad is going to happen if you wait a while to eat.
  • nancyjay__
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    amy8400 wrote: »

Thank you. I will adjust back and see if it helps with that feeling.

Before that you should start logging accurately.

I agree 2lbs a week doesn't seem an impossible feat. And who knows maybe once you log accurately you feel great! But if you already decide that its too hard and want to make it easy that might become a trend then you really won't go anywhere.

No matter what people tell you this journey will not be easy
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the loss so far!
    I wonder if you have your calories set too low ? Perhaps set your goal for 1 to 1.5 pounds per week.
    Also, be sure to log any exercise you do since the MFP is set up to allot you more calories to eat.
    Finding recipes that are full of low calorie veggies and fruits help to satiate your hunger. Also-lots and lots of water.
    You shouldn't feel like you're starving. :(
    Good luck. :)
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options

^This