Running for weight loss

kamarmite
kamarmite Posts: 2 Member
edited April 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
To aid weight loss Is it better to...
1) do long steady runs say 30-45mins 3 x a week
2) interval sprint/HIIT
3) other?

Running in treadmill is the main exercise I enjoy but not sure how to use it for weight loss. Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. Exercise can help you create one but exercising without calorie deficit will not result in weight loss.

Do what you like and what you will continue to do for exercise and track your calories.
  • newport3158
    newport3158 Posts: 75 Member
    It's an experiment. Trial and error, everyBODY is different. Try one way for a few weeks, track results, then try another, tracking those results. Compare to find what your body likes best!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. Exercise can help you create one but exercising without calorie deficit will not result in weight loss.

Do what you like and what you will continue to do for exercise and track your calories.

This.

Though I would add that without a decent aerobic base, sprint intervals are not really a great idea.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    From what I've read, HIIT training is better than steady state cardio but I agree that doing what you enjoy is the best exercise because you'll keep doing it.

I, for one, couldn't run on a treadmill... I just hate it. I do almost all of my running outside. So for me, treadmill running isn't a long-term option because I'd just quit rather than do it all of the time. :smile:
  • CodyVongprachanh
    CodyVongprachanh Posts: 3 Member
    If you want to exercise I would suggest starting off with those steady runs. Then maybe after establishing a good aerobic base you can start doing those sprints and even lifting! At the end of the day just do what makes you feel good and satisfied.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited April 2015
    SueInAz wrote: »
    From what I've read, HIIT training is better than steady state cardio

This is not really true.

High-intensity running burns more calories per minute than low/moderate-intensity running, for sure! However, if you are truly doing HIIT (or even just fast intervals), you're going to do, say, 10-20 minutes of high paced running. Heading out for a nice loping run, you'll be out there for 30-60 minutes or whatever (all times are purely theoretical). If you're working with an extremely limited amount of time, intervals are great for calorie burning time-efficiency. If time crunch isn't a factor, chances are you'll end up doing better with easier running OVERALL.

There is a lot of talk about an "afterburn" effect that is supposedly higher with HIIT. Unfortunately, in either case you're really only talking about single-digit net calorie burns. Not really anything to bank on.

In *my* case, I find that I am far, far hungrier after doing fast intervals than after running more slowly. I'm not alone in this, but it's not universal. So you'd want to test it to be sure in your case, I guess.

And if you do decide to push for faster work, build up the distance/time you're running fast, VERY VERY SLOWLY. Doing too much speedwork too soon is a *fabulous* way to get yourself seriously injured, and unable to run altogether for a long, long time.

...She said from experience.

• sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,010 Member
    My lowest weight was when I was training for my last half marathon. I stopped running long distances and now do more HIIT and strength. I weigh more now but also have less body fat and more strength, I think I look better now bc running will really work your lower half, not so much the top.... for me at least. Figure out your goals and what you like, and really what others said, weight loss comes only from cal deficit :)
  • lesliroot123
    lesliroot123 Posts: 5 Member
    I LOVE running! Having said that you will lose weight with steady running however some of that weight is muscle. If you want to lose BODY FAT you have to add the resistance training or HIIT intervals to your routine. I've learned to focus on inches and body fat measurements as a much better tool to gauge fitness than the number on the scale. You will drop the weight running, but you will look better naked with some light weight training! I mix it up to incorporate both!