Squatting Barefoot versus Squatting in Chucks

Options
darreneatschicken
darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
edited April 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Which is better and why?

I've done some research on the internet, and everyone seems to have a different opinion: some people like squatting barefoot, while others like squatting in chucks more.

I've tried both, and am unsure which one I like more. It doesn't really seem to make a difference for me, but then again, it's been a while since I've squatted in Chucks, so maybe I should try again?

I used to have a problem known as in-toeing (feet pointed inwards as I walked), and had to wear insoles to help with the problem. No longer wear the insoles and I doubt the in-toeing is as bad as it was before. Dunno if this matters.

Thanks!

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I doubt it matters much if any; I'd defer to preference. Especially since in both cases your feet will be pretty much flat (chucks are flat soled if I remember).
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    It really is preference as Dope said. I couldn't fit into a pair of chucks if I wanted, my feet are too wide and big. I do barefoot at one gym & the other one has a rule so I use wrestling shoes which are flat soled or extremely close to it.
  • IvanOcampo
    IvanOcampo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Depends on:
    a) personal preference
    b) the type of floor you're squatting in.

Squatting bare foot is not that great - the floor can become slippery, and depending on its surface, you can't 'ground' yourself down. When pushing up, you're thinking about 'splitting the floor' with your feet. If you don't have a solid foundation or sticky shoes, you can easily lose balance.
  • Michellestrat
    Michellestrat Posts: 3
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think preference. I prefer barefoot (well not literally, I'd never go barefoot on the gym floor
  • Michellestrat
    Options
    (My replies keep cutting off) but I wear socks. I have a bad back and knees and going with no shoes helps with form therefore less likely to cause an injury.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,871 Member
    Options
    I prefer barefoot, but my gym has rules against it.
  • chokeslam512
    chokeslam512 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    The Chucks might give you a bit of ankle support that you wouldn't get with bare feet. Also they protect you against fungus and other nasties that may be lurking on the gym floor :o
  • chokeslam512
    chokeslam512 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    I prefer barefoot, but my gym has rules against it.

Check out the Merrell Vapor Glove shoes, they are the closest thing to bare feet that I've ever tried and don't have the goofy toe separations.

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Wear socks at the very least. Yuck.

I prefer Chucks myself, but to each his own.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I squat in Chucks. I used to deadlift in socks, but switched to my Chucks there too and prefer it. I plan to compete next winter, so I figured I needed to get used to it anyway as I won't compete in socks.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Either one is fine. I don't care for squatting in socks- it doesn't feel quiet like it has enough "grip" but I know mentally I'm stable. I have little neoprene socks i Got at TJmaxx for 5 bucks called Versa Toes- and they look like aqua ballet flats- and I LOVE THEM. But they wear out quickly- not for ANY out door use- but feels like the best of both worlds- no socks- no shoes- no bare feet at the gym. happy jo is happy.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I wear vibram five fingers and feel very stable and grippy when I squat.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I had to squat barefoot the other day because I had mat burn all over my toes from grappling and wearing shoes was painful. I actually liked squatting barefoot more than I do squatting in oly lifting shoes! I'll be doing it that way from now on.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I squat barefoot or in socks but I workout at home. I had to build a platform because my squat stands were a bit high so the surface I stand on is plywood. It's not completely smooth so I don't feel like it is slippery. I once managed to shove in a splinter while squatting but other than that it hasn't been problematic.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    chucks, never barefoot just for hygiene reasons.
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Update:

So I tried squatting in Chucks yesterday, and I have to admit, I felt much more sturdy than squatting with just socks on. I felt like I had a better grip to the floor.