How much should I leg press to get leaner legs?

Options
amg394
amg394 Posts: 18 Member
hello! So I have been doing 60-70 pounds on the leg press lately. I want to lift my butt but get leaner thighs. Is that a good weight to be using for now?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Getting leaner thighs means losing fat. Lift what weight you like as long as you're eating in a deficit.

I'd say you could leg press more than that though.... I'm guessing your legs carry more than that every day?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    How much you leg press has zero impact on how lean your legs are. Put 90% of your focus on your diet if you want leanness.

And leg press....whatever you can. 60-70lbs sounds extremely low for any able bodied human.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    if you have no health issues:

hip thrusts, squats, split squats, deadlifts, walking lunges, and cycling with resistance, will give your bum and legs shape, as you lose (by cutting calories).

the leg press is ok... i use it, but only because i can't do some of the other things above. and even with my joint and tendon issues, i can do 30 reps of 100 lbs. (i could technically go heavier than that but i am being super careful.)

to hit the glutes a little better on the leg press, put your feet higher up on the plate. BUT make sure your lower back is GLUED to the seat.
  • galengentry
    galengentry Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You should google Bret Contreras. He has a lot of YouTube vids on female weight training for butt, legs etc. But looking fit is 75 percent diet. You gotta count em.
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    No disrespect intended, but there are daily threads on the myth of spot reduction and toning, losing fat with caloric deficits, all kinds of work out routines for strength or size. Couldn't you do just a tiny bit of your own research?
  • sk1982
    sk1982 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    the first rule of weight lifting is lift as heavy as you can with good form. If your last rep or two in each set is not a struggle the weight is too light....keep adding on each session til you get to somewhere where its a challenge....and dont forget to keep adding weight
  • Longbowgilly
    Longbowgilly Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Work as heavy as you can, I do up to 180kg, 3 sets of 10, I do mix it up, but I always do a minimum of 140kg. The legs are surprisingly stong!