50 lbs lost, can't seem to care anymore

Options
There it is.

I'm 200 days in and 50+lbs down and I'm in a funk. I'm going great, half way to my goal of losing 100 in a year or so, and here it goes again, the 250 plateau.

I've done this before, lost 30 or 40 lbs and then seem to lose the end goal and then it comes back. I don't want to do that again. I don't know what it is. fatigue? stress?

Has anyone else been here? any advice?

I want to succeed and meet my goal this time.

Severely discouraged...

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    congrats on your loss so far!

eating at a deficit for long periods is hard. plan a break. take a week off logging. but put your return date into your calendar. use stars or huge green flags.

how are you losing? how many lbs a week is your wt loss goal? what kind of food are you eating? if you're depriving yourself too much, there are ways to work around it.
  • Holly92154
    Holly92154 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm down 55 with 25-30 ish to go. I think my problem is coming from poor expectations. When I started, losing 50 lbs sounded like a life changer. Then you lost 50 and realize you don't look anything like what you pictured/imagined. It is hard to keep trudging along. Setting goals outside of the number on the scale has been the most helpful. Every month I set 4 goals. For example- run a 5k, workout 6 days a week, take my vitamins, drink 14 glasses of water a day, etc. after each month I take all of my accomplishments and write them on my big white board. Anytime I'm feeling down I go look at what I've accomplished. 6 months of exercise hours, 6 months of goals achieved, 6 months of weight loss stats, 6 months of my favorite quotes... It is a huge board lol When I look at everything written out I feel accomplished. The scale is not the only determining factor when it comes to goals and achievements. When you find something else to focus on, everything else falls into place.
  • judeoconnor66
    judeoconnor66 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You're doing so well! Sometimes it does seem like a trudge. I hope you start feeling the joy of it all again soon. I love your noticeboard idea, I may give that a go myself.
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Holly92154 wrote: »
    I'm down 55 with 25-30 ish to go. I think my problem is coming from poor expectations. When I started, losing 50 lbs sounded like a life changer. Then you lost 50 and realize you don't look anything like what you pictured/imagined. It is hard to keep trudging along. Setting goals outside of the number on the scale has been the most helpful. Every month I set 4 goals. For example- run a 5k, workout 6 days a week, take my vitamins, drink 14 glasses of water a day, etc. after each month I take all of my accomplishments and write them on my big white board. Anytime I'm feeling down I go look at what I've accomplished. 6 months of exercise hours, 6 months of goals achieved, 6 months of weight loss stats, 6 months of my favorite quotes... It is a huge board lol When I look at everything written out I feel accomplished. The scale is not the only determining factor when it comes to goals and achievements. When you find something else to focus on, everything else falls into place.

I love this idea! Thank you for sharing. :)

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I took week long diet breaks after every four to six months in order to just feel like my life wasn't all about number crunching. I'd gain all of 1 lb (plus some water weight which went away w/in a week). And it has kept me going. I can feel I'm due to take another break soon as I'm losing motivation as well. You can do it!
  • Holly92154
    Holly92154 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    No problem :)
  • Dynomite_d
    Dynomite_d Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think I will give this a try, thanks for the words all.
    I don't know if I can give up my counter though lol. may just have to log in and record breakfast.
  • cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I completely understand how you feel. Plateaus are such a confidence crusher! I'm in my second plateau right now (fluctuating between 220 and 225). It's extremely frustrating! The best advice I can give you is to change things up...that's what I'm trying out right now. I've added weights to my routine...changed up what I'm eating...and eating a bit more. I also agree with a previous person who posted about setting goals. They are like mini-celebrations you can look forward to (especially when in a plateau!) that will keep you on track and motivated. For instance, here are my current goals:

Hit the half-way mark : 207lbs.
    Get to "Onederland" : 199lbs.
    Getting into a size 12
    Getting out of the "Obese" category on the BMI: 191lbs.

I hope my advice/suggestions helped. Good luck to you, you're doing GREAT!