New to mfp

Options
hey I'm new here. Never really tried a app to help with my fitness goals. Any advice is welcomed.

Replies

• OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard. Since you asked for advice I'd say take a little while to find out what MFP is and, if you decide you want to put this tool in your box, commit to it. Seems to me the crux of it is tracking everything you eat every day. That's no small thing. It's a major pain at first and pretty time consuming but, like everything else, it gets easier with practice.
  • mikevandewetering
    mikevandewetering Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yes it will get easier, because you often go back to foods you prefer. Then it becomes easier to plan ahead. Just make sure you weigh everything and that you are totaly honest with yourself.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Hi Pat, my best two pieces of advice after two years:

Log everything no matter what. If it means you are over 1000 because you ate half a pizza then so be it. If you eat it, own it! Period

Set small goals. Lose 10. Walk 3 miles. Breaking 250 (or whatever number) etc. Looking at the final goal might be years out and demoralizing.

Add me if you like.
  • Patmartin2015
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. The hardest part has been logging all foods but luckily this app has a huge food base. I've been able to find pretty much everything so far.
  • mikevandewetering
    mikevandewetering Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    And you can also create your own food, if MFP doesn't have it in his database (takes about 2minutes)