I'm going to Universal and Disney...any pointers or first hand experience?

Options

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I eat and drink whatever I want there, but you're so busy you don't eat as much as you would think, and you will walk a ton and sweat even more! LOL
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    lyssad2003 wrote: »
    You are going to be doing a LOT of walking... I wouldn't worry too much.
    just as I was going to say, I've been there done that Orlando thing a few times and you will walk and sweat, make sure to get a krusty burger and a duff beer.

• s2Mango
    s2Mango Posts: 44 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You'll do a lot of walking, and likely a lot of standing around in lines as well. Especially at Disney. Prices at parks are horrendously expensive, so if you can bring a backpack with water bottles and maybe some frozen grapes or something to snack on. When it comes to meals.. somebody mentioned something about a menu up above. Whatever you do, do not underestimate the Florida weather. Lots of sunscreen and lots of water!
    I'm from about 5 minutes from Disney and lived there for 20 or so years.

If you leave the parks for dinner, toward the west end of 192/Irlo Bronson there are a LOT of restaurants. Outback, Ihop, Fishbones, Red Lobster, Texas Roadhouse (I think that's the one), Ale House, Carrabbas(sp?), Bahama Breeze, Olive Garden, Friday's, Giordano's, Golden Corral, Golden China Buffet, Cracker Barrel, Longhorn Steakhouse, Black Angus Steakhouse(if it's still open), Buffalo Wild Wings, Bob Evans, Ponderosa, Denny's, Perkins, Applebees, Angels Diner, etc. There is also a Subway in the Formosa Plaza shopping center(It's right across from Giordano's entrance), it's toward the end of the plaza. Bahama Breeze, Ale House, Applebees, and some others are further up 192 at Rolling Oaks Road in front of Super Target. You will also find your typical fast food places like Burger King(If you go here for anything, be advised the service here is slooooow), McDonald's, Wendy's and Taco Bell. If you go east there are plenty of restaurants as well, though some more spread out than the west end. Going East from Disney puts you in the direction of Old Town. Fun place.<3

If you're staying in the Lake Buena Vista area, there's a good picking there too but I never went up that way too often. Way too crowded and the traffic sucked.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Ooh yeah, I forgot my favorite Disney equipment, my soft side Brita bottle. There are water fountains all over the park, but, they mostly have rather gross water. But, the soft sided brita water bottle has a filter that takes the chlorine flavor out pretty well. Plan on sipping water the whole day. When we go on a 90 degree day, I easily go through 18-20 cups of water. The brita soft side bottle holds 20 ounces, or 2.5 cups. It would be ridiculously expensive to buy that much bottled water and an incredible nuisance to wait to ask for it at one of the restaurants that will give you a cup of water.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Blue Man
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'm going to Florida for the Disney and Universal parks next month. I am in maitenance. I was wondering if anybody has some tips for keeping in moderation in the parks or if anybody even has some suggestions of specific food choices they ordered?

THANKS!

I went in September for the first time and I was/am maintaining. Like mentioned you do alot of walking. We brought our own lunch into the parks most days. And in Disney I bought a lot of apples off the vendors. Keep hydrated too! I also had treats too like ice creams, chocolate, milkshakes etc.

I'm the evenings we really are things like cereal or porridge as it was so hot. On the odd occasion we also went to Friendlys for dinner.

After 10 days, I actually lost weight lol. Have fun!
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    kdiamond wrote: »
    I eat and drink whatever I want there, but you're so busy you don't eat as much as you would think, and you will walk a ton and sweat even more! LOL

true that!

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I strongly suggest bringing very comfortable shoes. My feet were bleeding after 3 days...
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    There is a Whole Foods in Orlando not too far from either. If you have access to a fridge, get a few healthy items from there. Good luck!

Like who is going to have time to run back to the hotel to make something to eat.

Uhm....some logic, no one is running back and forth...Ever made breakfast?

We spend a week at DW, place with a kitchen. Had a filling bacon & egg breakfast each morning, made sandwiches with cold cuts etc, packed sliced watermelon, protein bars, iced water bottles, trail mix etc, each in his/her own little backpack with a tiny ice pack to keep it cool.....
    Even had people stop and asked us where we bought the watermelon......Was a great idea when you are warm and tired.....
  • SeriouslySta
    SeriouslySta Posts: 458 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    We were there in August.

We were staying at one of the Universal properties - so, unlike some posters have said, we found it very practical to go back to our rooms midday.
    We got up early, were at the park as soon as it was open, stayed until we got too hot, went back and cooled off in the pool, grabbed a bite, headed back to the parks for the late afternoon/evening.

It was great!

At the Citywalk (near the entrances to both Universal parks), we discovered Moe's, which is a burrito place much like Qdoba or Chipotle. It was a lifesaver for our protein-needing family! (And, though we thought about trying out a bunch of other places, our people liked it so much that it became our go-to on the days we were too tired to go further afield.)

There are good pdf site maps available for the parks and Citywalk.
  • rachelwilliams932013
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it, I was 112Ibs when I went there two years ago and came back 110Ibs from all the walking, the shops normally have fruit pots or something healthy for snacks then just try and make healthier choices for your meals :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    There is a Whole Foods in Orlando not too far from either. If you have access to a fridge, get a few healthy items from there. Good luck!

Like who is going to have time to run back to the hotel to make something to eat.

We spend a week at DW, place with a kitchen. Had a filling bacon & egg breakfast each morning, made sandwiches with cold cuts etc, packed sliced watermelon, protein bars, iced water bottles, trail mix etc, each in his/her own little backpack with a tiny ice pack to keep it cool.....
    Even had people stop and asked us where we bought the watermelon......Was a great idea when you are warm and tired.....

Yep, this is exactly what we do. Saves money and your waistline.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »

Yep, this is exactly what we do. Saves money and your waistline.

Does it save money though? I mean, you have to rent a car, pay extra for the place with kitchen, and buy the groceries (which takes time too, I mean when we spent 5 days at Disney we wouldn't have had the time to waste doing groceries frankly), as opposed to paying $100 a night for a room and just taking the shuttle.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Yep, it did save a lot of money - we were four people..... Eating the junk in the parks 3 times a day plus snacks for four people would have cost us a lot more than buying the stuff...

The place we stayed in was a timeshare with full kitchen and two bedrooms, and cost a quarter of what a one room and bathroom at a Disney resort would have cost us...

We spent the second week of the holiday on the Florida coast, so the car made sense, and as for time spent shopping????? Really, an hour the first night we arrived there. and one quick stop on the way "home" after the parks for fresh fruit and bread halfway in was absolutely nothing.....

We actually picked up a $20 small BBQ at Kmart, so we could bbq on the balcony on the nights we did not go back to the parks.....
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    It's very expensive to eat - I bring food
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Does it save money though? I mean, you have to rent a car, pay extra for the place with kitchen, and buy the groceries (which takes time too, I mean when we spent 5 days at Disney we wouldn't have had the time to waste doing groceries frankly), as opposed to paying $100 a night for a room and just taking the shuttle.

I like to have a rental car anyway because I like to go to other places (downtown disney, universal, outlets, etc), so the grocery shopping isn't that big of a deal. Most hotels have at least a small fridge. Just buying sandwich supplies, fruit/snacks that need no refrigeration, bottled water, yogurt and granola, cereal, etc. can help cut down for breakfast and lunches for an entire family. The parks are so costly for drinks and snacks all day, let alone meals.
  • jenniferjohnsonament
    jenniferjohnsonament Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    We spend about 40 dollars on supplies when we go. We usually get water, some crystal light just in case we want to switch it up, sandwich supplies, some snacks, fruit, granola bars, waffles, and some things for our son like mac and cheese and yogurt.
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    acheben wrote: »
    The last time I was at Universal and Disney I was also in maintenance and I decided not to worry about it. We ended up walking so much in the parks that I could eat whatever I wanted.

I did end up ordering kids meals a few times at Disney since the meals were pretty giant and I really wanted the grapes and carrot sticks. I highly recommend the frozen Butterbeer and the Beef, Lamb, and Guinness Stew at the Leaky Cauldron. Teppan Edo and Restaurant Marrakesh in Epcot are also delicious.

I went to Restaurant Marrakesh when I was there almost a year ago, and it is AMAZING. Awesome dinner with really good food that I had never had before. I had a lot of trouble logging it in my MFP diary and gave up, but it was so worth it!

There are ice cream stands all over the park, and whenever the people I was with wanted ice cream I would get the low calorie strawberry fruit bars. The low calorie one is only 40 calories if I remember correctly. Gave me the same sweetness without all the calories (though I'm also lactose intolerant to ice cream would be bad for me anyway). That's the biggest thing I remember. The restaurants all have at least one "better for you" thing on the menu - and all of the ones I asked were willing to sub fries for vegetables or a small salad. I still had fries sometimes, it's vacation after all ;)

ETA: I only went to Disney, so the fruit bar things are there. Not sure about Universal, sorry
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    lyssad2003 wrote: »
    You are going to be doing a LOT of walking... I wouldn't worry too much.

+1

I also try to plan where to eat & looking at menus prior so I have an idea of what I will eat.

Have fun!
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Wear comfy shoes, you do a ton of walking. I actually lost a couple lbs when I went the last time. I drank a lot more water so I guess meal time I wasn't as hungry as I thought I would be. Enjoy the food and desserts though ... and you can check out the various menus online.