Too much Fat: Need tips!

Options
Hey all!

My fat content is always too high due to my high intake of nuts and nut butter. I'm not vegetarian but I rarely eat meat so I increase nuts for my protein. Is this really that bad?! I need some advice/guidance. Thanks! :)

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Can you swap some of the nuts and nut butter with beans and lentils instead for protein. But at the end of the end day if you are losing weight and are not going hungry I can't see that it matters.
  • clipartghost
    clipartghost Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Try other sources of protein. Nuts aren't very high in protein anyway ( which you're discovering with your fat problem)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Nuts aren't a protein source imo.

Try low fat dairy, eggs, meat where you can, Quinoa (which is more carb based, but decent protein), whey or plant based protein powders.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

My fat content is always too high due to my high intake of nuts and nut butter. I'm not vegetarian but I rarely eat meat so I increase nuts for my protein. Is this really that bad?! I need some advice/guidance. Thanks! :)

how high is 'too high'?
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    One of my go-to proteins is Oikos Triple Zero Greek yogurt. Each serving contains 120 calories, 15g protein, 0 fat, 7g sugar, and 6g fiber. There's no added sugar and the sugar grams are from fruit. The yogurt is sweetened with Stevia. Another go-to for me is jerky which has 90 calories, 10-15g protein and only one gram of fat.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Try eating more wheat gluten, or find a pea protein isolate powder. High sources of protein for little cost and are vegan.

Nuts are not a protein source. They're a fat source. Don't eat them to try to get more protein.

Also, I don't recommend eating large quantities of soy (tofu, tempeh, etc.). I did that for a couple of years and developed a severe sensitivity to it which has caused me to have to avoid a large number of common foods. They only way to heal myself it to cut out soy entirely.
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Fat is not the enemy, especially those from nuts and nut butter which are comprised of mono/polyunsaturated fats which are widely considered heart healthy fats.

Visit the American Heart Association page to read up on good and bad fats

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/PreventionTreatmentofHighCholesterol/Know-Your-Fats_UCM_305628_Article.jsp

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyEating/Polyunsaturated-Fats_UCM_301461_Article.jsp

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyEating/Monounsaturated-Fats_UCM_301460_Article.jsp

ETA: If it's protein you're looking for, nuts are not the way to go. Eggs, beans and lentils as well as chicken and lean beef cuts are your best bet.
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I eat 100+ grams of fat a day and have no trouble losing because at the end of the day I'm in a cal deficit.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

how high is 'too high'?
    Agreed?

If you made your diary public you would probably get better suggestions. Protein shakes are a useful and effective way of bumping up your protein intake.

Here is a guide to setting up your macros...copy and paste since MFP links seem to be dead at the moment

1g of protein per lb of LBM as a minimum target

0.35g of fat per lb of total body weight as a minimum target

The balance can fall where you wish, taking into account performance, satiety and adherence.

Note: the above protein minimum assumes that you are on a deficit, are undertaking moderate exercise and do not have a significantly low or significantly high body fat percentage. It also assumes that you have no pre-existing medical condition that would require a lower intake.

Conversely, at a very high body fat percentage or with no or little exercise, a slightly lower amount of protein is acceptable.

Also, at a high BF%, the fats recommendation can be decreased.

For example, say someone is 150 lbs with a BF% of 20% on a 2,000 calorie target. Note, a 20% body fat means that someone has a 80% lean body mass (LBM) as LBM is everything except fat (muscle, water, organs, tissue, etc). Their macros in grams would be:

Protein: 1 x 150 x 0.8 (LBM) = 120g x 4 calories = 480 calories divided by 2,000 (calorie target) = 24% - round up to 25%
    Fat: 0.35 x 150 = 53.5g x 9 calories = 473 calories divided by 2,000 = 24% - round up to 25%
    Carbs: balance of 50%

Lastly a plant based protein guide...

http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/articles/plant-food-protein-chart.pdf

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The fats found in nuts and nut butters are some of the healthiest things you can be consuming. So definitely don't cut down on them unless you're running into trouble with not meeting your calorie goals.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Too little info! Why do you eat little meat? How high is too high and why? Does it make it difficult to reach protein and calorie goals? Unless you have a medical contition that dicates low fat (which is very rare, and you don't mention that in you OP), you don't need to limit fat.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    The fats found in nuts and nut butters are some of the healthiest things you can be consuming. So definitely don't cut down on them unless you're running into trouble with not meeting your calorie goals.

Pretty sure nuts are high in omega 6 which we usually get enough of - you should get more omega 3,which i dont think is overly abundant in nuts.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Can you swap some of the nuts and nut butter with beans and lentils instead for protein.

This ^^ Dry roasted soybeans, edamame or chickpeas are low fat snacks that are excellent for snacking and low fat, and more fiber and protein than nuts.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Pretty sure nuts are high in omega 6 which we usually get enough of - you should get more omega 3,which i dont think is overly abundant in nuts.

That's a nice theory. Too bad every single study ever done on nuts has shown health benefits. And most nuts aren't that high in omega-6 unless you think peanuts are nuts (they are legumes). Although peanuts have still have been associated with health benefits. And Walnuts are a good source of omega-3's.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

That's a nice theory. Too bad every single study ever done on nuts has shown health benefits. And most nuts aren't that high in omega-6 unless you think peanuts are nuts (they are legumes). Although peanuts have still have been associated with health benefits. And Walnuts are a good source of omega-3's.

Most nuts have more omega 6 than 3, walnuts have high omega 3 compared to other nuts but still less than the omega 6
  • jasminestarrdavison
    Options
    Nuts aren't a protein source imo.

Try low fat dairy, eggs, meat where you can, Quinoa (which is more carb based, but decent protein), whey or plant based protein powders.

• jasminestarrdavison
    Options
    Wow! Thank you everyone! Going to make my profile public now. I have been eating nuts as a primary source of protein so I'm going to stop doing that. I feel like I'm starving throughout the day at 1200 calories. My thought process was to eat more nuts/protein to feel full.