Healthy and low-cost fast food?

Options
2»

Replies

• guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I second both Wendy's chili (put that on the baked potato, delicious!) and the Southwest Salad from McDonalds, with the grilled chicken plus all cheese, tortilla chips, and dressing, comes out to like 450 calories or so. And its delicious.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Op you've gotten some good advice, I don't have an issue with fast food but I often prefer my own cooking so I would probably pack my own sandwich or salad and try to find a park to eat at for at least one of those week nights. Truck Stop may have cups of fruit, those hummus packs, or even a frozen meal and a microwave.

The value menu at McDonalds and Wendys has some good option, Taco Bell is always cheap, and Waffle House serves breakfast all day so you could get eggs and oatmeal if that interests you.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I've recently discovered the Jr Cheeseburger Deluxe at Wendy's. Its only 340 cal and if you skip the mayo you save 50cal. Add a garden side salad for 310 (Subtract 90 if you leave off the croutons and lose 50 more if you only use half the dressing for a total of 170) Then I usually use 200 of those calories I saved on a Jr chocolate frosty. That's 660 cal for the meal and I love eating a cheeseburger and chocolate ice cream and not totally blowing my calories.

Waffle House could be OK too depending on how many calories you want to spend. My usual there is between 700-800 calories, I can't remember exactly. 2 eggs scrambled with cheese, hash browns with onion skip the toast and drink water. They also have grilled chicken that's pretty good.
  • icewyche
    icewyche Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recs. Packing a homemade dinner isn't an option; I don't have time to go home, staying at the office to eat would get me stuck in rush hour traffic, and there isn't anywhere to go to eat a homemade meal. And frankly, sometimes I just don't want to fix my own meals - I do it for the whole rest of the week and it gets tiresome. I appreciate that some of you are very (VERY) opposed to fast food, but everyone's life is different.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Tacobell fresco style isnt bad at all. I prefer chipotle if im typically going with this kind of meal but a chicken burrito supreme fresco style is tasty and wont bust your diet.