separated rib

Options
has anyone had the pleasure of experiencing a separated rib? i was diagnosed with one today. it has been hurting off an on. my question to those who have had it is, when did you get back to working out? i have recently started my weightloss journey and am so proud of the fact i've excercised just about every day for the past couple weeks. that is huge for me. i asked my dr if i can continue on the elliptical and he said yes but very slowly and dont use the arm stalks. so basically i can walk. i dont feel like that is going to be good enough for anything though i guess it beats doing nothing. anybody been through this?

Replies

• MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I had one ages ago when I was in high school. Got me out of PE for a couple months....:happy:
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I pulled an intercostal ligament last spring in my lower right side ribcage. Hurt like the devil and dropped me to the floor in agony while trying to do plank one day. Took it 8 weeks to heal. I could walk my dogs, but that was it. When I started back, I still couldn't do any ab work as that seemed to irritate it. I still notice it every now and then when I really torque on my core.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I can't remember if it was my 4th or 5th rib but it popped out from where it attaches to my spine. It happened twice within two weeks of each other. After it happened the second time, I knew better and really took it easy. Well, the pain med and muscle relaxant that I was on helped me take it easy. It was truly one of the more painful experiences of my life!!

Hope you heal quickly!!!!

D
  • boardedney
    boardedney Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think you just have to go with your doc's advise. I have a rib that's popped out of place...has yet to go back all the way and stil gives me a little trouble from time to time. But, it's up high and doesn't affect much of my training. Everyone you are asking on here has a different injury at a different point of their ribs and I would say that we are not a good source of info...og with your doc and your instincts. Best of luck...it's only temporary and if you can work around, do....don't get discouraged ;-)
  • lovex5
    lovex5 Posts: 11
    Options
    thanks everyone! i'm going to take it easy..just hard for me to do. i've been sitting on the extra weight forever and now that i'm doing something about it this has to happen. it will pass soon enough though.