baked potatoe -good or bad

Options
Is baked popatoe good or bad as a meal.. with light seasoning and salt. For loosing weight.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with baked potato with a meal...but a baked potato by itself as a meal? I can't see that it would be very satisfying.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on how many calories you need at the time, how big the potato is etc.

In general I find a smallish baked potato is a nice addition to a meal. Reasonable on calories (79 per 100 grams), lots of potassium, some vitamin C some iron. Personally I like to add a bit of ranch dressing to mine.

I wouldn't want just a potato as a meal unless I added some kind of protein.
  • Krislifts
    Options
    Potatoes are one of the most satiating foods. Google satiety index of food and you will see. They are not the highest in fiber if high in this nutrient at all. But they put on a lot of mass compared to their calorie content. Great for cutting. Be sure to have some ice cream or so a twinkie bar afterwards ;)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yeah--you can break up your food however it works for you, but for me eating a potato by itself wouldn't be ideal, as I wouldn't find it satisfying for all that long. I eat roasted potatoes (I like to eat the skin, so prefer them to baked) WITH dinners all the time, though.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I wish people would stop classifying specific foods as "good" or "bad." Food is food. As long as it fit's into your daily calorie budget eat what you want. A plain baked potato with a little salt and pepper and (gasp) a bit of butter or low fat sour cream adds very little to a total meal. You can even make a meal out of it by topping it with chili, stew, or another protein. Be mindful of your portions and have at it!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    A potato isn't a meal. It's a potato.

If I ate one as a meal I'd lose plenty of weight as I'd gnaw an arm off in hunger
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Depends what you're going to do with it. As food it's fine but they make terrible yoyos
  • mr21mr21
    mr21mr21 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I would avoid foods with a high glycemic index if trying to lose weight.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Macro balance is your key. 40/30/30 for carbs/protein/fats. If you want to have just a potato as a meal, you are going to be hungry fairly quickly, as carbs don't last as long as protein. You'd be better off with a 3-4 oz salted potato with 4 oz of lean chicken, and find that you're feeling full much longer. The protein from the chicken will last a long time. both are quite low in calories. Put some sour cream on the potato for some fats and added dairy protein and and nice green veg on the side, now you've got a meal. Should fit right into your calorie deficit.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Krislifts wrote: »
    Potatoes are one of the most satiating foods. Google satiety index of food and you will see. They are not the highest in fiber if high in this nutrient at all. But they put on a lot of mass compared to their calorie content. Great for cutting. Be sure to have some ice cream or so a twinkie bar afterwards ;)

This is a ridiculous post. Please don't give this kind of advice, it's not helpful.
  • itstimeRK
    itstimeRK Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    A small baked potato is a great base for a meal, but you should add some toppings. It's a blank canvas and you can do almost anything with it. Some healthy toppings include: steamed veggies, black beans, greek yogurt, turkey and swiss, salsa, red onion, grilled chicken breast... there are so many ways to turn it into an actual meal.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Potato with some chili on top ( I like Trader Joes turkey chili)...oh and cheese!
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Baked potatoes are delicious and versatile. Depending on the toppings you use they can be a meal. I wouldn't just add a little seasoning, though. I would add some shredded chicken, sour cream and salsa or finely cut steak and pepperjack cheese and jalapenos and call it dinner. I've had no problem losing weight eating them.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Potato with some chili on top ( I like Trader Joes turkey chili)...oh and cheese!

Yum!
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    A baked potato could be a meal, if it's loaded with cheese and bacon and diced tomatoes and chives. Just a potato... not so much.

I have a baked potato several times a week with my meal. I top it with ranch dressing.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Look, there are a lot worse things you can eat than a baked potato. Can they be unhealthy...sure if you put too much crap on top. A little light sour cream, butter and pepper works great for me. I've never tried Chili but that does sound good too. But keep in mind that loosing weight is calories in vs calories out. Now eating healthy or clean is another ball game altogether. Good Luck.
  • AGupta6mobile
    AGupta6mobile Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Awesome feedback guys, really appreciate it.. I've been trying baked and roasted potatoes, with side of boiled broccoli and a asparagus. And small salad with some picked beans. As a meal.. keeps me full.. will have to try othser suggested toppings ..

Being a vegetarian, thinking of adding tofu as protein substitute. . More .
  • RBrigzy
    RBrigzy Posts: 152 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Baked potato is a very good choice (I think) as it doesn't take much time to prepare.

I find I eat rubbish if I don't make the effort to cook, so easy cook ups like a healthy spud is just what I need.

A tin of baked beans on top and that's a good meal in my book.

Maybe resist adding a cheese topping but add some curry powder and chopped onion to the baked beans for interest and zing.