struggling to lose...

just wondering if anyone can help - with a recent high cholesterol diagnosis I began clean eating 13 days ago (yes...i'm counting :-)) - so i've used the mfp app as I have done before to help me keep track of my eating/exercise. In that 13 days, I've managed a calorie deficit right through (targetted 1200 calories/day) but yet have only lost approx 4 lbs - really disheartened as thought i'd lose more - anyone got any tips/stories to inspire me to know that this will get better soon? many thanks in advance. I'm 5"7' and currently weight 166lbs.

Replies

• JustMe2691
    JustMe2691 Posts: 111 Member
    You've lost 4 lbs in less than 2 weeks! That's not a failure, that's success. We all want to lose it all quickly, but in the end, it's better to lose the weight in a way that is sustainable.

You say you've managed a calorie deficit at 1200/day. That's really restrictive. Are you going to be able to continue to eat at 1200 calories a day? Do you plan to add exercise into the equation? If so, that 1200 calories is not going to give you the energy to workout.

You've lost 4 lbs in less than 2 weeks, congrats!
  • tara2502
    tara2502 Posts: 20 Member
    thanks so much for your response - i guess you're right - 4lbs is pretty good I guess - I suppose I thought it might be a little more - on the calories, I'm exercising also so netting 1200 - my plan is to drop some pounds and then increase my intake to maintain (I think around 1800 calories/day should do it)....but until then, 1200 is my aim. I hope that isnt too low?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    'only' 4lbs in 13 days!! thats a fantastic loss!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    You could probably stand to eat more. I am 5'8, weigh 180, and lose on 2000 calories a day.

Since you don't have a lot to lose, you should change your weight loss goal to 0.5 pounds per week and see what MFP gives you. That is a sustainable rate of loss and level of calories.

And 4 pounds in 13 days is not slow, at all.
  • tlh68
    tlh68 Posts: 25 Member
    4 lbs in 13 days is pretty stinking awesome!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Healthy weight loss is 1-2lbs a week. You should be happy with 1lb a week considering the amount you have to lose, but you are exceeding that by some margin. Well done and you should stop feeling disheartened because you arent being realisic or patient enough. You are not struggling.
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    My stats were the same as yours when I started. I, too, did the 1200 cals (2lbs/week) but found it very difficult to maintain. It was much easier when I set it to 1/2 lb week.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    1200 plus eat half exercise cals back will see you right :smile: 1200 can be low for some, depends on your TDEE, if your TDEE is 2500 then yes 1200 is too high a deficit....theres other factors, as in how much you have to lose - if over 40lbs to lose then a big deficit is ok.
  • tara2502
    tara2502 Posts: 20 Member
    thanks everyone - feel much better now - will stick with the 1200 net calories for now and see how it goes over the next couple of weeks...and you're right I have no patience!
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    4 pounds over 2 weeks is a 2 pound per week loss which is the absolute maximum you should shoot for. I've never been able to sustain that - I averaged 1.2 pounds per week over 6 months.