extra exercise calories

Options
Hi everyone! I'm hoping that I can get a bit of help on what to do with extra calories earned by exercising. I read someones post on here a couple days ago saying that it is best to consume the calories that you burn in order for your body to avoid going into starvation mode and storing fat. Is that true? or should I always stick under my regular calorie goal no matter how many extra calories i earn exercising? The thing is on some days I burn over 1000 calories, and should I feel guilty about eating back all those calories. What has worked for you?

Replies

• bberns27
    bberns27 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I usually use my exercise calories as a buffer. I dont go out of my way to eat them back but use them in case i have cravings or had a bigger portion at a meal. you definitely dont have to eat all of them back. as long as you eat a normal amount of food to begin with.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    you can eat some back or all it just depends on what works for you ..both sides have success..some people eat none,some or all...
  • tammyr76
    tammyr76 Posts: 174
    Options
    You need to eat no less than 1200 calories a day so your body does'nt go into starvation mode...You may not need to eat all of them but you really do need to be at 1200 calories at the end of the day after exercise...
  • MidniteDayDream
    MidniteDayDream Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    This is an ever ongoing debate. You will never get a straight answer. People will say eat them all back, eat only some of them back, eat them only if you're hungry. Try doing a few different things and see what works for you. Me personally, I try to eat back around half of my exercise calories.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I eat at least 1/2 my exercize calories everyday.......and quite often I eat all of them.
  • azucarnegra
    Options
    I recommend eating atleast 1200 calories a day after the exercise calorie deficit. So if you eat 2100 calories, burn 1000 through daily activity then eat 100 calories back to bring you to 1200.