IBS and Safe Foods - FODMAP List

Options
Hello, when I was a teenager (MANY years ago) I was told that I had either colitis or irritable bowel syndrome because of problems I was having with intestines/colon. I didn't think a whole lot about it and didn't pursue it because as a teenager and I had better things to do.

Today, I eat very healthy (all vegetables mainly, some rice and grains, salads, fruits, fish, chicken, yogurt, etc.) and have been eating this way for most of my life. But it never fails - for years (at least 20), it seems that every time I eat ANYTHING, I bloat up really bad (sometimes looking pregnant), have severe intestinal distress, pain cramping, gas, etc., the works.

Today, I just came across something called the "FODMAP" (Fermentable Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides and Polyols) list and it appears to address what I've been going through with the foods that I am eating. Perhaps this is reason why broccoli, apples, sugar snap peas - the list of healthy, natural foods is unending - sends me into intestinal distress. Honestly, it had gotten to the point where I was terrified to eat anything, so much of the time I ate nothing but fish and chicken for fear of bloating up and going through the horrible distress.

Anybody have knowledge or experience with this? The list makes a lot of sense to me, because so many of my "problem" foods are on the list.

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Those foods are also decent sources of fiber. Especially if you eat them in large quantities.

Until you keep a detailed log of what you eat along with how you feel afterwards (you can just add notes in your diary or do it by hand), just keep eating as you do. If you feel terrible after only certain foods, then try eliminating each for a few months all at once, then reintroduce them one at a time for at least a few weeks. If you notice issues, eliminate them again until you feel good, then reintroduce another item, and if that one you feel fine eating then keep it in your diet, continue the cycle.... I only ever eliminated gluten. Eliminating dairy made no difference for me. I experience IBS-like symptoms with gluten but no other food on that list gives me issues, outside of just eating too much of higher fiber foods (particularly when also not drinkign enough water). Gelatin in yogurt is also something I believe to be an issue (I only experience discomfort with brands that use gelatin, and two yogurts can be identical except for the gelatin and only one causes problems.. so I avoid that). Nothing else really bothers me.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'd talk with your gastroenterologist. My son has IBS, but his is mild. Yours sounds a bit more severe than that.

If you're not under the care of a gastroenterologist, you should be.

I would not advise doing the whole FODMAPS thing until speaking with a doctor, because it's so restrictive.

For some people with diagnosed severe IBS, it's very helpful.

Again, don't undertake dietary restriction like that without seeing a doctor.

• Indigoblu1
    Indigoblu1 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thank you both very much for your responses!

Hi, Ana, I keep the food diary here at MFP, but now I can keep the diary of what turns out to be "safe" foods. You know, I love vegetable soup (make it from scratch) and I always wondered why something so soothing and healthy would make me swell up and be miserable! Now I'm sad that many of the ingredients that I love about it will have to be eliminated.

Hi, mamapeach. The next time (which will be soon) I see my Primary Care doc, I will ask her about a gastroenterologist. I can't remember if I ever brought this up to her ... I know I've told docs about the severe runs I always seem to have, but they didn't think much of it. Maybe if I put it together for them, they may connect it with IBS.
  • ellenmarie319
    ellenmarie319 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My mom has severe Chron's and made the switch to an anti-inflamitory paleo based diet a couple years ago and has had great success. Its basically the same thing as FODMAP but minor changes. If you are having problems, it doesnt hurt you to try out this type of life style change. I am thinking about doing it too because I have similar symptoms which the doctors cant attribute to anything.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I was told many years ago that I had IBS and to increase my fiber intake, which just made me more sick and my symptoms worse, especially from whole grains. Started thinking I might have celiacs or something more than the "throw in the towel" umbrella diagnosis of IBS. I was right. I finally had an endoscopy and colonoscopy. I have GERD, gastritis and microscopic colitis, yay me - (which, I guess, is the "best" one to have). There is no outward damage to intestines, it can only be detected by microscope, hence the name. Anyway, the doc wanted to put me on $400 a month meds and I, of course, said no, can't afford and isn't there a better way to handle this diagnosis. His advice was then to find out what foods made my symptoms worse and stay away from them. What a novel concept, but sometimes that is hard to figure out. I didn't realize it until you posted the FODMAP post, that it pretty much reigns true for me. I was slowly figuring out what foods to avoid completely, which ones I could handle now and again and which ones were fine all the time. Luckily I really like the one's that don't bother me at all. And there is enough variety that you should be able to get plenty of nutrition from each group and if you feel better, that's more reason to eat "restrictive". In fact, I find the more processed a food is, the more likely it is to make me regret eating it.

I don't have quite the same faith in doc's that some people have mentioned on here. I don't think it's necessary at all to get a doc's "approval" to stay away from food that makes you sick and restrict your diet to foods that don't make you sick, especially since there is a variety from all food groups, it's just a smaller variety. The advice I got from doc's just made my symptoms worse so follow your instinct and your gut :)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has active crohns and it has taken me years to understand that many of the foods that most people consider to be "healthy" actually hurt him. The fiber in veggies and fruits causes a great deal of pain for him, especially broccoli, I also suspect that grain is bothersome to him as well since he gets sick right after eating meals heavy in grains. When you have a disorder of the digestive system it helps to track all your food and how you feel after eating it. There will be plenty of foods you can eat that don't bother you. Talk to your gi about recommendations for foods. If something continually causes you pain or makes you feel ill, don't eat it.
  • Indigoblu1
    Options
    Hi, ellenmarie, you are right in that when I eat fish or chicken with no veggies I have no problems whatsoever! I have been heading to a mostly veggie diet for awhile, but it's just not such a great idea for me.

Hi, walkinthedogs - I have like zero faith in medical doctors. I also figured that I would keep my diary loaded with the foods that are safe - and like you, yeah, even wheat bread would cause the distress. And like you, the FODMAP, answered so many questions and "mysteries" that I've had for so long. Like, when I made Butternut/carrot soup, I felt great - no symptoms; but when I made my delicious veggie soup - BAM - distress. I'm actually feeling pretty optimistic about this, knowing now basically what to stay away from.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It did seem counterintuitive to me at first that vege, fruits and whole grains would make me sick, especially when my doctor was telling me to keep increasing them, even when my symptoms were getting worse. I had to just throw conventional thoughts out the window and really pay attention to how I felt after I ate. I learned early on that me and cereal, of any kind, do not get along, at all, not sure exactly why and I love cereal :( I also try to do a lot of research, which is funny cause I never came across FODMAP before and it was really helpful and interesting, so thank you!

I have had to kind of retrain my brain and thinking so that I'm not "feeling bad" about not eating whole grains and such (just because we're told over and over they are necessary in a healthy diet). But there are enough fruits and vege's that don't seem to bother me, especially if I roast them, that I feel like I have a good variety for the most part. Raw, mmmmm, not so good, but roasted or steamed, seems to be ok. Oatmeal works for me and I just bought some Quinoa to try. It's really trial and error and trial and error and trial and success!! Some of the hurdles also are people trying to get me to eat things and then when I say, no thank you, they act all butt hurt, even if I take the blame and explain that my digestive tract is a little messed up and not normal and eating whatever they are offering would make me sick, I still get an eye roll, but whatever. Glad you are feeling optimistic instead of discouraged. It really does help when you see all the foods you can eat and feel good after. Sorry I'm so long winded.
  • Indigoblu1
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hey, walkinthedogs, I know exactly what you're saying - me too. I couldn't imagine how veggies could affect me in a negative way. As you said, it just seemed counterintuitive. Mushrooms (baked/roasted) are some of my favorite veggies, but they are on the list. I didn't really believe it, so yesterday I had the last bowl that I had roasted. Sure enough, about three hours later (best guess) while shopping after work, I started to feel the cramping and swelling start. There's also a weird sensation that goes along with it for me ... it's like a clammy, trembly feeling that covers my body from head to toe. All I could think was "Oh, no, please. I don't want to go through this distress again." After not feeling it for a couple of days, feeling it again was horrible, because I knew what would come next. So, I bid adieu to my precious mushrooms!
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily a definitive adieu. Please don't forget that it is an elimination diet, and after the cold turkey period, you should start to reintroduce foods, to see what you can tolerate (reason more to work with a practitioner).