When you are done but still hungry?

Options
When you are done with your calories for the day but you start getting hungry again in the later evening just what do you do? Do you have any mega low cal snacks you eat or do you just distract yourself until bedtime?

Replies

• jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    W A T E R :drinker:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a tablespoon of PB and 1/4 cup of raisins....BUT if I have a yogurt I would grab that or jello
  • cjwolfjen
    cjwolfjen Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I try to always leave about 100-200 calories after dinner just in case this happens. They make pop corn for 100 calories. Or I'll just have a small snack and a whole bottle of water. Fills me up.
  • Kaldrmjolka
    Kaldrmjolka Posts: 86
    Options
    Usually I go for something really low in calories like 10 calorie jello or a filling protein shake. They have really good cinnamon sugar protein drinks for 60 calories (packaged easy to make) its like a late night dessert!

If you feel guilty about the snack afterwords maybe do some crunches or move around a bit, cleaning works well to. Helps fight the guilt and cravings for me anyway.
  • elkano
    elkano Posts: 14
    Options
    I may be bias, as I'm always under my goal... However, if I'm hungry, I snack on something very small (like grapes!) and find that it curves my hunger quite quickly. So no matter, I would snack on something healthy, and not a whole lot of it. As that sick hunger feeling is a pain in the butt. :(

So, for me it's either: A few grapes, a strawberry, some edamame beans, or raw cucumber. Or chew a piece of gum!
  • christinathompson1
    christinathompson1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    water...water...and water!! its not good to eat before you go to bed. also what i do before i eat meals, is drink half a glass of water. :)
  • patssarah
    patssarah Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I go for a run and then when I get back if I am still hungry I eat back whatever calories I just burned!
    Most of the time after a run, Im not hungry though!
    Also, I used to just drink water, lots and lots of water and it would fill me up.

Or brush your teeth! I have done that before and I never want to eat right after brushing!
  • theresa7576
    theresa7576 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    i get the heck away from the kitchen. I have 100 cals left, so I grab a tall ice tea and retire to the bedroom with my laptop. I don't leave till morning.

If I have to eat something a bag of 100 cal popcorn or a big salad with a light dressing...

btw I hate that starving feeling- it happens to all of us.
  • maggie4097
    maggie4097 Posts: 156
    Options
    I agree with the peanut butter, but for a lower calorie, lower fat snack, I microwave a big bowl (2-3 cups) of frozen veggies. I season with Mrs. Dash. Very filling, good for you, and low calorie!
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    I either chug water (which I pay for at night having to get up to pee lol) or I'll pop a snack bag of popcorn.
  • lesliefoste
    lesliefoste Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I agree with what's been said

-save some calories
    -drink water
    -line up a couple go-to low-cal snacks so you don't end up stalking the pantry

but also, it could just be boredom or habit. Just a thought.
  • mkcalvert
    mkcalvert Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem, but I know it's not water bc I drink a gallon or more per day!! I think I may have to eat more on those days, I believe sometimes ur body is telling u what it needs..just my opinion
  • lijparsons
    lijparsons Posts: 258
    Options
    I pretty much try to ignore it until bedtime. I have started trying to front-load my calories in the day, so I'll have most of them throughout the day and be left with nothing (or not much) by the time dinner is over. I find I can convince myself that I don't want a snack in the evening....so far, so good. It's tough though. If you have to have a snack, just try to make it healthy. Like a yogurt, or carrot sticks....or as jb_2011 said, water.... I find that I have to get up a few times in the night to pee if I do that though.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I have 5 cal jello, 0 cal mints on hand at all times, but I always save a few calories for night time snacks and usually that can keep me satisfied till bedtime (unless it's a super late night or something)
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I actually find that when I eat around 1500 calories a day I do alright, I'm around 200lbs right now. When I was doing 1200 a day I was *always* hungry. How many calories do you have for the day?
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Agree on the 100 calorie popcorn thing and also agree on the not leaving the bedroom thing! I wake up in the middle of the night - every night - and what I used to to was get up and go watch tv or something and then I'd eat. Now I just don't allow myself out of my bedroom. There's no food in there :) So maybe do that - go to your bedroom for the rest of the evening and stay there. Or "close down" the kitchen and just don't let yourself set foot back in that room.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I try to figure out why I'm hungry (or more accurately, IF I'm really hungry - is it head hunger or tummy hunger?). More often than not I'm tired or bored - so I go to bed.
  • kristidem
    kristidem Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Everyone has great ideas. I too try to save some calories in case I'm snacky feeling. Try to determine if you are really hungry, just bored, or eating at night has become a habit. Also, take a look at what you eat during the day.... are you eating lots of veggies and fruit, whole grains, and lean protein? Maybe changing what you eat during the day would make you less hungry at night. Good luck! It really is trial and error!
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Try to eat more complex carbs and fiber during the day. Drink a lot of water too.

Good luck!
  • haulinbuns
    haulinbuns Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I agree drink something. I drink some water and wait 15 minutes or more.

If I'm still hungry- I have yogurt. Blue Bunny Light Vanilla Creme is my favorite. It is very low in calories. I will have 1/2 cup - 1 cup sometimes with berries or grapes. It is filling and keeps the grumbling away until morning.

I really listen to my body and when I'm really hungry my body is telling me I didn't eat enough. I struggled for a little while trying to ignore it but then I would wake up in the middle of the night and have trouble sleeping because I was so hungry.

I don't want to stall my metabolism so if my body says it needs fuel I give it fuel. I just make smart choices.

There is also a light string cheese that is 50 calories.