Recovery Question

Options
My goal is to walk 5 miles a day. Should I take a day off or on some days just strive for 10,000 Steps? Is this enough recovery or do I need to take a day off completely? I don't know what I should do. I love my walking but I want to take care of my body too.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need recovery from walking, unless it's taxing for you.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    When I was consistently walking between 3 and 6 miles daily was when I was losing weight. Less than that (and that is what is happening now), and I gain. I RARELY took a day off from walking, and need to get it back into this daily routine soon. Unfortunately, it may be July before that can really happen as I am "retiring/re-careering" and will be moving during May and June.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't expect you to need a recovery period for walking unless you are speed walking.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Not from walking, but if you happen to pick up an injury or you feel exhausted or ill then use some common sense.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You need recovery from moderate to vigorous activity...you don't need recovery from walking unless you are having issues.

I still walk a good 3-5 miles on my rest days due to needing to walk my dog, taking my kids to the zoo, etc.
  • pattywedge
    pattywedge Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!! I just wanted to make sure. I lose better walking every day and it helps me to get relief from any stress I am feeling plus I enjoy it.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I have seen many experts recommend something like walking to aid in recovery....the term is "active recovery" if you want to google it.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    personally i only take rests and recovery after weight lifting. good luck on reaching your goal - that is awesome! :smile:
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    It depends - walking a lot for me makes my tight hips sore so *I* would rest. But if *you* don't feel sore or fatigued then there is no reason to!